IBM - I built sales pipeline for a software company acquired by IBM in 2006. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"I built sales pipeline for a software company acquired by IBM in 2006."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

In a sales function, the name IBM certainly opens doors with prospective clients; they're more willing to listen. There is more than enough training in all aspects: function, product, industry. I enjoyed and miss working with smart and dedicated professionals. Direct management that I experienced was fair and reasonable. Lots of fun networking opportunities in major cities.

Cons

Things move relatively slow in a large organization and consequently enthusiasm can lose steam. On the other hand, a recent reorganization in sales and marketing swiftly cut thousands of positions. Once hired, if you want to stay with IBM, learn as much as possible, keep your eyes and ears open, and network like crazy to secure your next position.

Advice to Management

I appreciated the opportunity to work at IBM, and I hope I'm given another opportunity to work there again in the future.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"It was a great first career ... that lasted 25+ years"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Given the size of IBM, there are a variety of business areas to work in and gain tremendous business knowledge. In years past, strong and competent employees had many opportunities to move around to different job roles across various business areas. Most managers empower employees to be self-sufficient and independent ... "micro managers" are in the minority. It was easy to feel a sense of personal ownership in the work that you were doing. There was generally a very good teaming attitude across departments and business units. IBM employees are typically very bright, ethical, and well trained professionals.

Cons

It seems that executive management does not recognize the value of people performing operational/support roles. If an employee is not directly impacting revenue, that job is likely considered non-critical and subject to elimination. I understand that revenue is critical for business success, but this approach is somewhat tactical and rather short sided in my opinion. In many cases, employees are simply considered expendable resources. The respect that IBM employees used to garner from management seems to be non existent.

Advice to Management

Respect employees as critical components of the business, and not treat them simply as resources that can be eliminated if the upcoming quarter numbers are not going to exceed Wall Streets expectations.

"IBM a typical big company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

Pros

big company benefits
    work with some hard working people
    execs at top are very impressive but less so at director level

Cons

a lot of dumb people work at IBM
    no career movement unless you move back east
    pay raises small/ promotions limited

Advice to Management

IBM says they are putting power back in hands of managers but it is not there. Ex: the non-existant 5K that was put aside for all mgrs. Try getting that money. It did not exist other than in an e-mail from the CEO. Finance teams and execs prevented use.