IBM - great company for innovators | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"great company for innovators"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hi tech company who excels at being the leader and the innovator for hi end computer related technology such as servers.

Cons

Can not compete when something becomes a commodity. So you always need to be in a developing part of the business, not in what becomes a commodity

Advice to Management

Lead more from your strategy and less from wall street's response each quarter

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Great technology and history. No work life balance."

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company history and in-depth technical knowledge from people with decades of service. You can also work remotely and take vacation time as needed.

Cons

Limited growth and below average pay. It is all about the "Blue Dollars vs. Green Dollars" If IBM does not make money then they will eliminate your job and ship it overseas. Its better to have dissatisfied customers and make money. That's the moto!

Advice to Management

its time to give back to your employees and acknowledge their hard work. Enough of the roadblocks and countless process to tell the customer you cannot do something.

"IBM: The ongoing decline of a once-great company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at IBM as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The name recognition still carries some weight worldwide. Also, the Watson commercials are pretty cool. Back in the day, no other company treated it employees better. Emphasis, of course, on "back in the day".

Cons

Job security has become an oxymoron; just ask the hundreds of people who were just let go as part of IBM's latest resource action/workforce remix/whatever. They actually called us "Surplus Employees" back during the Great Purge of 1993 (two decades from to what's being done now) Evidently, people run a distant second to profits in today's IBM environment...

Advice to Management

Maybe you should rename the company "IB". After all, you do lots of "International Business" these days but don't seem to manufacture "Machines" anymore. I could also recommend treating your remaining employees humanely and fairly, but I have my doubts you'll even read this anyway...