IBM - Best Company I have ever worked for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Best Company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - IT Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, Well known company, work from home + travel

Cons

Resource Actions (Layoffs), Constant pressure to do more with less.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Good place for an internship, not good for a career."

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits is competitive.
    It's a good opportunity for interns or contractors who are not looking for permanent employment.

Cons

Always worried about layoffs regardless of performance. Resource actions occur regardless of whether we meet our sales and profit goals.

Cost-cutting is ridiculous. Hardware for developers is underpowered and must last for a minimum of 4 years. You are not allowed to purchase and use your own hardware either. It's very difficult being productive with the resources given.

Perks have long ago been eliminated...you have to even pay for coffee through vending machines.

Employee morale is awful. Many high-performing employees have left for other opportunities, taking valuable knowledge with them. Software quality is suffering, and many customers are dissatisfied.

The general mood is that upper-management does not care about their employees at all, and only see us as numbers in an expense column. Nothing is more important than profit margin targets. Even declining revenue doesn't seem to be concerning. It feels like IBM executives are engaging in a pump-and-dump scheme. Long-term viability of the company seems uncertain.

Advice to Management

Stop using marketing-lingo and spin on employees when taking away perks and benefits. We're smart people and can see through the lingo. It comes off as insulting to our intelligence.

Be honest about what your intentions are. If you're planning on eliminating your permanent U.S. headcount by 2015, tell us so that we can look for other opportunities.

2. "One of the top IT companies in the world"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Values and basic beliefs, large enterprise client base, breadth of offerings, excellent customer support, quality of its people, consistent financial results, industry competitive benefits plan.

Cons

Slow to move at times, multiple layers of management, some offerings are not easy to use and deploy and have a long time to value in mid-sized and small companies.

Advice to Management

Find a way to better empower your employees