IBM - Great while it lasted - demoralizing when there were layoffs (and now it's my turn) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Great while it lasted - demoralizing when there were layoffs (and now it's my turn)"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highly competent pool of people to work with and learn from
Great technology and chances to contribute.

Cons

Upper management is ruthless when it comes to quarterly earnings
Jargon (e.g. "interlock") takes getting used to.

Advice to Management

I like the Unilever approach better - don't give quarterly earnings predictions. Build morale in your employees. A lot of other highly competent workers will leave IBM to avoid their own turn with layoffs.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"End of a Legacy - at least from my perspective"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the "PROS" were diminished from 2008 until I left, but they were:

PBCs: In the beginning, your goal was to support the goal of your direct manager. You were treated as a professional and given the ability to define how you would support those goals, and you were measured by the success. This meant something, at least in the departments I was in, for many years. In recent years,they became a joke.

WFH: This was a blessing for a long time, it afforded work/life balance. It became a means for 24x7 days as commitments were outsourced around the globe.

Cons

Bungee Cord Management, obvious use of "3" rankings to push out those with the most experience, due to their higher salaries and age. This became routine over the years, when we witnessed star performers get shoved out the door and we grappled with covering their responsibilities. Those of us left to pick up the pieces knew their performance was NOT weak.

Advice to Management

Rather than treat your senior staff like chattel in order to meet your EPS, why not be honest, and give them an opportunity to take a reduction in pay for a period? Many would have opted to continue their career through the tough times, and you could have maintained the skills - IF you really wanted to maintain the skills. I'm beginning to think that is not really the plan, based on crowd sourcing, etc.

2. "Advisory Engineer,Development"

Former Employee - Advisory Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Advisory Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sharp engineers and better than average middle managers. Much of the best of the IBM culture hangs on from previous generations. Good pay and better than average benefits.

Cons

IBM no longer makes anything, Mostly just a reseller and system integrator. Good place for top software developer. but no career growth for hardware engineer.

Advice to Management

Develop the next generation of top technical performers in the USA.