IBM - The best of times, the worst of times | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"The best of times, the worst of times"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Huge network, ability to move around within the company. Mostly great people. Predictable culture. Rewarded with promotions for exercising my passion, following my interests. Have to admire a company that knows how to sustain itself for decades.

Cons

Exasperating organizational infighting and agendas are to be expected within this vast company, despite a facade of collaboration. I wish it seemed genuine. Workload increasing too steadily to work on career advancement. Seeing I will have to sell my work-life balance to reach the next level. Fear I'll be politely shuffled out the door in 10 years anyway, for costing too much.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to what's going on among your areas. It might not be beneficial to the company as a whole.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"IBM Global Services, US"

Former Employee - Executive Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Executive Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very smart and capable peers. Work is typically challenging when you find the right gig. Getting exposed to different companies and industries is rewarding.

Cons

Very Utilization driven. As long as you know the rules, you should be OK. No training (OJT), systems needed to get your work done typically have to be "baked into the deal" with the customer. Travel (Mo-Fr, Typically 100%), IBM used to be "Ive been moved" .. now its more like "I'm by myself"

Advice to Management

Touch base with employees often. Out of sight does not need to mean out of mind.

2. "Work with the smartest company with the smartest people."

Current Employee - Associate Partner in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Partner in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IBM is not an easy place to work but Im not looking for that and if you are then its not for you. Its hard work, everyday. Challenging. Big company clients with big real world problems. If you want a challenge, want to work with some of the brightest minds, and shape the future of business then IBM is right for you.

Cons

Its not easy to get promoted from within. Having done it myself though I can say its at least possible.

Advice to Management

Change the balance towards promoting from within those with the skills clients need most. Accelerate promotions as needed to retain the best talent.