IBM - Sometimes the easy things are the hardest to comprehend | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Sometimes the easy things are the hardest to comprehend"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

When I started at IBM, I was a young overwhelmed employee and kept wondering why IBM hired me. Through the early years, I felt I was a contributor to the business and I was able to quickly get promoted, nice raises, outstanding benefits and had a whole lot of fun while working with top notch people. I was always intrigued by the new and cutting edge stuff coming out and IBM was always good at letting you undertake new challenges and look and move to new opportunities.

Cons

The one thing that always bothered me at IBM was the confusing and complicated bonus payments. Several years ago, I had a manager call a special meeting to go over the new sales plan. It took her about 10 minutes to understand that she did not quite actually understand the basics and she just got back from a 1 day meeting on the subject. She naturally called in the person who actually developed the plan to speak with us. After 30 minutes she even had questions as to why certain things were the way they were and she wrote the thing. Needless to say, it was the hardest thing to understand each year, especially when your quota kept getting changed throughout the year.

Advice to Management

Through my years, I got to work for the hardware and software divisions and also worked closely with the services division. I put together many large complex deals and it was always amazing to me that each of these divisions had their own agenda, own P&L and made it very difficult to put the pieces of a deal together. This linkage needs to be fixed.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Great place to work and good career opportunities"

Pros

IBM is a great place to work and you will have good career opportunities and more possibilities to grow up the ladder.

Cons

From a compensation perspective, IBM is not a good pay master. I know people making 15 - 20% more that what I make at IBM for the similar job

Advice to Management

Matching the salary structure with the market conditions will be much appreciated. Bonus percentages are good and unbeatable when compared to the market conditions.

"It Boggles the Mind how anything ever gets done."

Current Employee - IT Architect
    Current Employee - IT Architect

Pros

Flexible work location and schedue if you can find a job where this is permitted. Some great people to work with in the trenches although they are becoming more and more scarce...

Cons

Unbelievable focus on process over production. Way too much bureaucracy. Corporate centric command-and-control management mentality with seemingly arbitrary decisions forced on the unwitting masses... The US workforce is under a constant threat of layoffs due to offshoring. Pay raises seem nonexistent, even for high performers. Consequently, the morale of the workforce is at its lowest ever and continuing to drop.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees! Listen to what they have to say. Allow innovation to flourish again at IBM. You could lose a good portion of middle-management and no one would notice.... Focus on long term growth by focusing on improving the morale of your workforce. Everything isn't always about cost cutting.