IBM - I enjoy working at IBM, coworkers are great! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"I enjoy working at IBM, coworkers are great!"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home, great people to work with.

Cons

Can be very stressful, to much work, expected to always be available. Not properly compensated based on performance.

Advice to Management

Management states that they pay to keep the top performers, but that is not what they do, when raise time comes around there is always an excuse, high performance marks but they don't have any money to give a decent raise, however, Management gets theirs. Need to reward the people who actually do the work based on their performance, Management says they do but they don't.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Good Company"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Good benefits, lots of opportunities to learn new things, to work on leading edge technologies, excellent people to work with, very talented, hard working people.

Cons

Rigid, lots of red tapes and internal processes. Takes forever for upper management to make decisions. Sometime internal fighting are not pretty.

2. "A wealth of opportunities and chances to grow"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In 16 years at IBM, I was given the opportunity to grow and move into different areas of the company. I essentially had 5 different careers in that time - mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, software sales, technical sales support, and call center operations.

Cons

Compartmentalization was a problem. I never got rewarded for just doing things to help the business move forward, regardless of whether or not it was in my job description. At times I was even penalized for doing so. This discouraged "outside the box" thinking. Also, in a couple of the positions, I experienced upper management setting an expectation of being available/online at night "after dinner, or once your kids have gone to bed." I hope that is not pervasive.

Advice to Management

Employees should not be viewed as resources that can be used up and replaced when they have been worn out (or burned out). Treat every employee - even those in their first week on the job - as a source for ideas. Ask them what they think and act on good ideas. They will feel more invested in - and valued by - the organization than any amount of salary will provide.