IBM - Dont Do it | Glassdoor

"Dont Do it"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Base Pay, Benefits, Not Working Fridays (lets be real here, nobody does it), ability to travel all over the country

Cons

People just get trapped in this job and dont even get me started on a manager reviewing you who you have never met or worked with before....that makes sense

Advice to Management

Just take a look at your business model and realize that you arent going to be able to do this forever, you are doing well for your share holders now but you better start planning for the future

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Enjoying my IBM career with a solid employee focused company"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Burlington, VT

Pros

I have enjoyed the past 35 years with IBM due to the nature of the work followed by the professional group of coworkers and a solid management team. The technology growth has been challanging and fun. The workload has been great but the team support has allowed us to meet very aggressive schedules. The sensitivity of the management team has provided me and my family with a balanced life. The benefits package is very good compared to our other competition. My plan is to retire at the end of 2009 with a very rewarding career and a good pension.

Cons

All major companies have areas that could be improved. I have found that the budgeting process for each department and division needs some improvement. Also at times the management team has a tendency to assign more people to do the same job. This could and is being addressed by eliminating redundency. There should also be more skip level meetings with the sr. management team to get a better understanding of the divisions business strategy. This would help the team work toward a common goal.

Advice to Management

Some managers tend to micro manage their areas. I realize they are under the gun and always require information on an hourly basis but they should put more pressure on the team leads or senior people. Have a little more faith in your team.

"Not a place for Alliance managers"

Current Employee - Alliance Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Alliance Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Being in alliance sales, IBM can provide momentum for large deals. GBS can be help if managed correctly. Many products and solutions for package sales.

Cons

Constant layoffs that happen every quarter. The alliance and partner divisions seems to take the brunt of these resource actions. Also targeted for layoffs â?¦ older employee (over 50).

Advice to Management

Move IBM back to a sales company ... as opposed to a company that increase margins with cost containment and shipping jobs overseas.