IBM - Get out | Glassdoor

"Get out"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

good place to work if you like computers get out fast if you dont cause most people are incompetent there

Cons

hated it worked there for only a year rand then wanted to leave with my tail between my legs and fast

Advice to Management

don't stick your head in the sand and then blame your juniors for everything that is going wrong...management argh

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"PeopleSoft implementations"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Looks good on resume, pay is good, very large clients,

Cons

You are a serial number, no management/guidance/development, you will be replaced by someone cheaper.

Advice to Management

Eventually you're going to have to go back to the old clients, and they won't forget how the've been treated.

"Once was a great place to work, but not now"

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

1. Good people -- I have worked with a lot of wonderful colleagues over the years, mostly my peers, but there were some outstanding managers.
    2. Company supplied laptop and software; I had a fast and capacious laptop; I usually was able to order any type of software for which I could make a reasonable case. Once IBM bought Rational, there was so much good Software Engineering tools available for download.
    3. Competitive salary -- I feel that I was justly compensated.

Cons

1. Sweatshop -- I saw this word in the title for another review, and I would agree ... there is always way too much work to do for the time allotted; your manager expects you to do it all.
    2. Churn -- projects come and go; so many projects on which we worked hard did not actually ship :-( [eg TKS, ORION, ... (a long list)] It hurts my mind to think about how much money IBM must have thrown away?
    3. Manager of the day -- This is related to "churn". In over 30 years, it was rare to have the same manager for more than 1 year! Amazing in retrospect.

Advice to Management

Keep stocking up on patents -- IBM's patent portfolio must be worth an awesome amount of money. It is the main reason that I am bullish on IBM stock.