IBM - PeopleSoft implementations | Glassdoor

"PeopleSoft implementations"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO
Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Looks good on resume, pay is good, very large clients,

Cons

You are a serial number, no management/guidance/development, you will be replaced by someone cheaper.

Advice to Management

Eventually you're going to have to go back to the old clients, and they won't forget how the've been treated.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Once was a great place to work, but not now"

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

1. Good people -- I have worked with a lot of wonderful colleagues over the years, mostly my peers, but there were some outstanding managers.
    2. Company supplied laptop and software; I had a fast and capacious laptop; I usually was able to order any type of software for which I could make a reasonable case. Once IBM bought Rational, there was so much good Software Engineering tools available for download.
    3. Competitive salary -- I feel that I was justly compensated.

Cons

1. Sweatshop -- I saw this word in the title for another review, and I would agree ... there is always way too much work to do for the time allotted; your manager expects you to do it all.
    2. Churn -- projects come and go; so many projects on which we worked hard did not actually ship :-( [eg TKS, ORION, ... (a long list)] It hurts my mind to think about how much money IBM must have thrown away?
    3. Manager of the day -- This is related to "churn". In over 30 years, it was rare to have the same manager for more than 1 year! Amazing in retrospect.

Advice to Management

Keep stocking up on patents -- IBM's patent portfolio must be worth an awesome amount of money. It is the main reason that I am bullish on IBM stock.

"Could be worse...but not much"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

Pros

Friday flex days, planned events by the COE, 401K match, having IBM on your resume, working with 350 other 20 year olds

Cons

Being controlled by 3 different contradicting forces, low low pay, not much of a bonus, constantly being inundated with IBM propaganda, knowing that no matter how hard you work, you will get the same ratting. Unless your good at sucking up, you won't find much progression here. Management stresses having experience in all different roles, and then five seconds later will tell you how important it is to stay in the same job role for 2 years, this tends to go along with their standard practice of contradicting themselves and not having the intelligence to realize it.

Advice to Management

Some of you are great from what I have heard...some of you got lucky by being here prior to the creation of the COE, thus enabling you by default to become managers...don't kid yourselves your really just baby sitters while the staff does all the work. The COE model has come of age and your involvement is more of an HR function than anything else