IBM - A marquis name on any resume | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"A marquis name on any resume"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in New York, NY
Former Intern - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a co-op with IBM during college.
It was definitely a great experience, and having IBM on my resume won me more interviews the next time I went interviewing.

Cons

The pay was a bit lower than the other job offers I had.
I'm not sure whether that's common across the company, but they definitely seemed to low-ball their compensation and try to pay you in perks (like telecommuting) instead.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "International Business Machines"

Former Contractor - Business Systems Analyst in Weston, FL
    Former Contractor - Business Systems Analyst in Weston, FL

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional colleagues, solid benefits, resume prestige, Indian food, high technology standards, cool logo, wages in line with national averages, they handle the client relationship management at the portfolio level

Cons

It's really not that bad to work for IBM. They do take a big chunk out of the contractor contracts; much higher than the industry standard 20%, sometimes more than 50%. Other cons: Indian food, wages in line with national averages, they handle the client relationship management at the portfolio level.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on, dudes. And hire more women.

2. "IBM - Intellectually Bright, social Morons"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM has proven itself brilliant at nosing out where technology is heading and strategically placing itself at the front of the tech field. If you want to be associated with a winner and care about the social cachet of being associated with a well-recognized leader, you won't be disappointed. In the consulting arena you get to work with top-tier Fortune 500 companies and large-scale projects that are challenging and require you to bring your "A" game. The benefits are also among the best out there, even as they look for ways to scale them back. The success of your experience is very much tied to the manager you report to; a good manager is essential; if you can't get away from a bad manager you will be miserable. (This truth is not restricted to IBM, but very true at Blue.) Looking back on a consulting career, I'm glad I started with a Big 4 consulting firm, before IBM purchased us. If I had started at IBM I don't know that I would have lasted as long as I did (see Cons). IBM would be a good choice for a younger professional wanting to deepen their skill set and resume and then moving on. It would be very challenging for someone with shaky skills or someone who wants "work-life balance." That concept doesn't exist any more, per contacts I've had there until this year (they've all jumped ship after 12-15 years of service). Now it's called "work-life integration."

Cons

In a nutshell, the cons of IBM can be boiled to the phrase "social Morons." If people are constantly reminding you that you have a tin ear in social situations, you'll fit right in. If you expect to work with your IBM management team to get a relevant client outcome, good luck! IBM are notoriously socially clueless and I've run into more that a few managers who have fairly noticeable personality disorders. Sometimes it mind boggling. Let's leave it at this: as sad as I was to lose a good job, I was VERY relieved to be away from the crazies. And when I was on an IBM run project not too long ago, I was reminded of the number of dysfunctional people IBM employees. Good luck!

Advice to Management

I think the management hubris is beyond comment or advice.