IBM - IBM - not for amateurs. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"IBM - not for amateurs."

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Bethesda, MD
Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very competitive and thus lucrative to work for. Never ending supply of work and technical skills expansion. Management that more or less stays out of the way of technical personnel

Cons

Difficult to keep track of opportunities in such a large organization. Need to develop a network of people all over the company to keep track of what's going on other wise something in your direct job arena may pass you by.

Advice to Management

attempt to communication better the diverse nature of the undertakings company wide.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Too Big"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked on a small team with good people and had the chance to work on some interesting projects. The hours were also flexible.

Cons

The office I worked in was small and disconnected from upper management. Because of that we lacked visibility making it difficult to move up despite performing well.

"Good company to work for when you're starting out"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBM is a stable company to work for. It's not going anywhere, and it's not going to get bought out. You can even transfer between different product teams, although a lot will depend upon the state of business and how good your manager is. IBM tries to solve big problems and you'll encounter a lot of smart people trying to solve complex problems. It's a good company to work for so you can learn from other employees, and usually they're more than willing to help.

Cons

I felt valued as an employee by my manager and my peers. However, at the corporate level, I felt very unappreciated as an employee, e.g. getting rid of the water cooler to save money. IBM's current strategy is acquiring companies and thereby customers to grow. Organic growth is not happening. Now, the focus is about saving money.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees as real people. It's not just the first-level manager's job. It's every executives' job, all the way up to the CEO.