IBM - Talent is poor | Glassdoor

"Talent is poor"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn: Business and Technical

Cons

The talent at GBS is very poor.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Amazing organization that helps change the world for the better, but not the same company it used to be."

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM creates products and solutions that help businesses focus on their core business. The innovation and passion is still among the best there is.

Cons

The company is not what it once was, or even what it was just 10 years ago. The focus is on benefits to the shareholder. Recognition for the individual efforts has dropped miserably in recent years. Investment in current and future projects is limited unless viewed as an overnight game changer. Cost cutting has gone too far.

Advice to Management

Invest in IBM - resources, compensation, and projects.

"Frustrated at IBM"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM is a 100 year old titan with tremendous brand equity. I am a junior mid-career band 10 and the pay is good enough to keep you onboard...

Cons

but not bad enough to force you to look elsewhere. The frustration, for me and I'm sure for gen x and y, is that IBM is:

a) too slow in allowing career path suggestion, meaning progression is directly correlated with tenure, not skills...and opportunities to move around the company are harder than people describe, where you can have many "careers" at IBM, but given the current climate and internal controls, it's harder than ever;
    b) too many managers, very top-heavy, with many IBM lifers that are very talented and senior, but expensive to carry on the P&L, thus weighing down the company. IBM is quick to cut the tens of thousands of long-time professionals, but very hesitant to cut the thousands of long-time senior managers;
    c) our size is our strength but it's also killing us in a world of cloud, we are mired with legacy contract vehicles, sales force (40,000 expensive F2F sellers, vs. self-serve salesforce.com-like inside sales model), and technology (lotus notes?)....all this baggage doesn't allow the faster portions of the company (usually via acquisition) to sprint as strongly as needed to compete as the gold standard...we have lost that status

Advice to Management

Shed parts of the organization, both people and technology, in a bold, share-accretive way that allows the sprinters to sprint and the linebackers to block.