IBM - adfdfasdfttttthtisadfasdf | Glassdoor

"adfdfasdfttttthtisadfasdf"

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are still lots of smart people at IBM. If you like working long hours for little or no reward, this is the place for you.

Cons

This is the worst managed company I have ever worked for. None of the smart people I mentioned in "Pros" is in upper management. Although I see quite a few favorable reviews of IBM on glassdoor, in my experience the only people who think this is a good place to work are those who have never worked anywhere else.

Advice to Management

1. Focus on creating real value for customers rather than just acquiring new revenue streams.
2. Drop the rah-rah stuff; we are not fooled. True greatness is inversely proportional to the amount of it that comes out of your mouth.
3. Grow up.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"IBM Hates Contractors"

Former Contractor - Engineer in Fishkill, NY
    Former Contractor - Engineer in Fishkill, NY

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a contractor, there are no pros to working there. The people at IBM are actually very pleasant. It is the culture that needs improvement.

Cons

IBM is not concerned with any of its contract employees. Workforce reductions and furloughs do little to improve overall morale. The culture at IBM is all about meeting IBM financials with little apparent regard to customer needs. Contract employees are told not to discuss workforce reductions with the customers they support. Why? Those customers would most likely get upset if they knew the level of support they should be getting has been reduced.

Advice to Management

Instead of implementing contractor furloughs, simply rate all contractors and dismiss those contractors that rate the lowest. Eliminating excess management positions, hiring GOOD project managers and eliminating non-performers would improve performance, morale and ultimately improve the margins IBM is so desperate to make.

"Great place to work if you enjoy narcissism and other sociopathic personalities"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Yorktown, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Yorktown, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health benefits are good, 401k benefits also good.

Cons

Working at IBM Research is similar to working in a prison in that you never know who is going to stab you in the back when you are not looking. I spent 15 years at the company and the environment got progressively worse every year. Much of the problem is a result in the way IBM handles yearly evaluations of people and in the communication it sends out globally about how and why the evaluations are done. In layman's terms it says something like "we only care about the top 5% and everyone else is just not cutting it - what will you do to be in the top 5% ?" Other problems are related to the holier than thou attitudes of many people in the research division. So many times you see the case where a phd employee feels that their intelligence is so superior that they must have super high intelligence in many other areas in life outside of their primary technology based studies including child raising, finance and accounting, politics, etc. Many employees in the research division would have a very hard time working outside of a research type environment, where you actually had to produce a working product, a point which is well lost of them. All you have to do is look at how many jobs have left this country and yet nobody in the rank and file would make a peep. The only thing that happens is that employees up their a-game of backstabbing and other non-productive techniques. I left the company four years ago, long before many of the big layoffs happening now. My only regret is that I did not leave sooner. The rest of the technology industry does look the same as IBM Research.

Advice to Management

Nothing. 1st line, 2nd managers (senior managers) are in survival mode. Advice would have to come at the VP level and drop downward.