IBM - Challenging, slow moving and frustrating at times. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Challenging, slow moving and frustrating at times."

Current Employee - Senior Training Consultant in Norfolk, VA
Current Employee - Senior Training Consultant in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The name IBM still carries a lot of weight and can often help get converstaions with clients started. IBM is an ethical company.

Cons

The average work week is 50+ hours. Finding new projects can be difficult with the current IBM tools and changing practice areas is nearly impossible.

Advice to Management

Allow employees the opporutunity (and time) to be forward thinking and give the ability to pursue new ideas instead of only talking about being 'innovative' as an abstract concept.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Saitisfied"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and ability to work from home. Also I get to travel to places that I may not otherwise have visit.

Cons

Salary increases are small. Salary is not the most competitive.

2. "Small cog in a vast machine"

Former Employee - Services Architect
    Former Employee - Services Architect

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having IBM on your resume gets attention. Working at IBM means you don't have to explain what company you work for. Vendors call you back, and you can push an escalation if need be. The biggest advantage of working at IBM is the vastness of the company. You can go as high as you want to - maybe. There are endless training opportunities and lots of things to do.

Cons

IBM periodically goes through an exercise called a "Resource Action" or "RA," which of course is a euphemism for a layoff. That is how I parted ways with the company. The company is gradually reducing its US workforce while increasing its staffing in India and China. Effects on morale are what you'd expect.

Advice to Management

For the past 10 to 15 years IBM has been run by its accountants. Its successes on the chess board and on "Jeopardy" notwithstanding, the company is not innovative, but is instead a follower and a late follower at that. The company's biggest moneymaker is its Global Services (i.e. outsourcing) division, where I worked and the game there is conservative and fundamental.