IBM - Positive, overall. Great people, technology, and opportunity. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Positive, overall. Great people, technology, and opportunity."

Pros

Opportunities to learn and move across different teams and technologies. Still a good company to be with over the long term if you can weather the storms.

Cons

Far too heavy management and fragmentation of teams doing duplicate work right now. Lots of talent going to waste. Good technology that never sees the light of day. Too much focus on 2015 Roadmap without any apparent thought to how it's being done. It's a disaster.

Advice to Management

Develop a more coherent vision of what IBM is trying to be and make sure everyone knows what it is.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Metrics driven organization"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Benefits are industry average just par

Cons

Metrics driven bottom line organization

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining good employees

"I'll Never Put On A Life-Jacket Again"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is spotty and intermittent (depending on week/assignment), but, in general, the 'virtual workforce' telecommuter arrangement helps more than it hurts. Benefits are average (possibly just above-average, though they shrink a little each year). The company is huge -- as in bigger-than-most-military-forces huge -- which means there are many nooks and crannies to explore (new different projects, new different teams/divisions, possibly new different jobs/managers, if you play the transfer game shrewdly). Almost any expense is reimbursable, so long as it isn't blatantly fraudulent, and so long as you cultivate the right relationship with your level-one and level-two managers. Despite all the "company X is leaving" and "company Y is suing" news-traffic, the IBM name does still seem to carry reputation and weight on your resume.

Cons

Employee morale is as bad as I've seen it. Barring (very) occasional chats with one's immediate supervisor(s), an IBM employee basically stands alone within the organization. There is little or no assistance available to find clients or work-placement. There is little or no assistance to meet revenue/utilization targets. There is little or no budget for tools or training. There is little or no 'human element' whatsoever, as higher-management has become laser-focused on short-term financial results to the exclusion of all else.

These 'isolated-by-myself' factors have combined with the '400,000 employee size' dynamics to yield some strange cultural behaviors. Bureaucracy, of course, is rampant; IBM boasts an unending series of you-must-go-to-this-webpage and you-must-fill-out-this-form and you-must-get-this-manager's-approval obstacles, all of which are frustrating, some of which are impassable. It is also possible to 'out-of-sight out-of-mind' yourself into unemployment, if you're not careful (must stay visible, must initiate communications and work-placement(s) so others don't forget your name/face).

Thirdly, and worst, a distasteful herd-of-sheep mentality has manifested: a sort of I'll-keep-my-head-down, I'll-do-the-absolute-minimum, I'll-stay-two-steps-up-from-the-bottom reaction, in the hopes that "it's a big company, they'll find someone else to fire" or "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun the slowest member of the pack so the bear will eat him/her instead." To follow my Quint-and-the-USS-Indianapolis title above, employees are waiting while the sharks circle, never knowing when the next sailor will be bitten, never knowing if/when they will be rescued (or outsourced), no longer holding their heads up high, no longer daring to hope. I fear THIS will eventually kill IBM as we know it today.

Advice to Management

The current 'vision' seems to be a futuristic, mechanized, globally-distributed IBM, drawing cheapest resources and lowest tax implications from multiple regions simultaneously, with no cumbersome face-to-face overhead and no personal element in any one location. This model needs to be fundamentally re-examined. A "what we wanted" versus "what we actually got" evaluation will probably reveal wide divergence from this goal-state.

You must (MUST) throttle back (even if only slightly) on momentary financial success, and re-invest in the culture/workforce. This action clearly jars against executive/shareholder expectations, but there's simply no way around it. To continue down this (current) path will yield a downward spiral with shrinking revenues (already spanning 7+ fiscal quarters), discontent customer breaches/lawsuits, mass talent attrition, and progressively tarnished brand/reputation.