IBM - Great company to start off with | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Great company to start off with"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Littleton, MA
Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Littleton, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-High Culture of achievement
-Many opportunities to learn
-Challenging and stimulating
-Teamwork and collaboration

Cons

-Not very many young people
-Can be impersonal workplace
-Not clear career path within

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "IBM Research is great, but IBM corporate is not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Research Staff Member in Yorktown Heights, NY
    Former Employee - Research Staff Member in Yorktown Heights, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Peers at IBM Research are technically able and treat you with respect. Low-level managers are often very good.

Cons

Corporate management too slow in responding to technical change and unable to lead company for organic growth and are choking profits out of the company instead of feeding the right areas for growth. Corporate mgmt and HR office put short term profits and goals ahead of respect for employees.

Advice to Management

Take your eyes of where the customer IS and look at where the customer is GOING. Stop bleeding the company for short term profits.

"Profit at all costs company."

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large market share in the out sourcing and business consulting arenas. I have been a fulltime employee for 15 years as Senior IT specialist. Initial they gave us great raises, and very affordable benefits. And because of the large market share, it was easy to move to new assignments when contracts ended. But as the saying goes, all good things come to an end

Cons

Things started getting bad about 6 years ago. Raises for long term employees mostly disappeared. some of my colleagues have not had a raise in 7 - 8 years. My cost for insurance for my family went from $180 per month in 2004 to $724 per month in 2013, 289% increase If you are IBM US your days are numbered. A few years ago IBM implemented its plan to reduce US employee head count by 60%. Moving everything to IBM India. I believe they are in year 3 of the 5 year plan. They can get 2 - 3 employees in India, with little to no experience, for the price of one US employee, that had many years of experience. And the work product delivered shows a drastic decline. At one point I actually had to tell an offshore resource who had not added error trapping/handling to a project "because the customer did not ask for it" the it is up to us as professional developers to add it because it is part of industry best practices. Every year when they announce the resource actions (sometimes 2 per year) I hold my breath. I know my days are numbered, because I have 15 years now. Maybe I can get one more year.

Just my 2 cents.

Advice to Management

Ms. "Ginni" Rometty needs to change this trend of getting the cheap labor from offshore, or the already diminishing IBM image will crash completely and she and all of the executive board members will be in the job hunt. Of course they will all have a nice multi million dollar severance package, while the displaced employees will get the 2 weeks salary for every 6 months worked severance ( uptto 26 week max)