IBM - IBM | Glassdoor

"IBM"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for an IT professional

Cons

Management assumes you will give up vacations/personal time in favor of business needs 100% of the time.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "My experience at IBMwas wonderful, full of opportunities to increase knowledge in my career of IT"

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Lewisville, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The fact that IBM has a creative learning system, where I enjoyed hands on training.

Cons

The disadvantage of working with IBM would be the length of time I shared with the company.

Advice to Management

I would advise IBM to acknowledge the fact that each employee also has obligations to see to, to be considered in hiring people to fill a position with a short time length of the job assignment and not being honest about.

2. "Treated well for a long time, but sadly watching a long decay as we abandon the values that made us successful."

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Essex Junction, VT
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Essex Junction, VT

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The legacy company culture from the founding Watson family still lingers, resulting in a typically congenial working atmosphere. The sheer size of the company means you have access to resources unthinkable in smaller companies. There are so many careers in IBM, you could switch once a year and never even scratch the surface.

Cons

Read Dilbert, and know the absurdity of a large, often contradictory hierarchical organization. Our new CEO and senior leadership have grossly mismanaged our hardware business into a hole from which it will most likely not recover. IBM is trying, as much as possible, to offshore jobs to cheaper countries. We have now become a bellwether for employee benefit takeaways.

Advice to Management

Stop cooking the books by buying back shares, and invest in your people and infrastructure. For goodness sake, start listening to your technical staff again. And experiment with the old company value: "Respect for the individual".