IBM - Typical large company | Glassdoor

"Typical large company"

Current Employee - Executive Architect in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Executive Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM tries to take care of the top performers and give you an opportunity to move around and try different roles like technical, management, sales, services.
Overall I enjoy working here

Cons

As you would expect from a company this size, bureaucracy runs rampant and sometimes takes too long to get into new markets. Lots of people who spend a lot of time creating paper work of no value

Advice to Management

Focus on the core

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Not the career company it was, but then who is?"

Former Contractor - Backup and Recovery Specialist in Boulder, CO
    Former Contractor - Backup and Recovery Specialist in Boulder, CO

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I really liked the rotating shift schedule I was on during my last assignment there.

Cons

Giant cube farm and nobody really socialized much on breaks. Nice people, but something about the schedule or how busy we were kept us to ourselves more than I would have liked. System and procedure documentation was lacking as well.

Advice to Management

Document everything, especially with the turnover you have. If it's not documented, its a rumor!

"Big, big, big blue"

Former Employee - IT Architect in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - IT Architect in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a culture of honesty. It is common to find people that are very committed to the success of their projects. The benefits are top-notch. The company communicates in advance what it intends to do and follows those plans.

Cons

New growth is outside the US, where skills have been much weaker. Managers are given very little opportunity to reward employees or help them with advancement. Bureaucracy sucks the lifeblood out of eager employees. Departmental targets are set in such a way that even high revenue departments can miss targets and thereby not be allocated funds to reward staff.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the rewards and recognition program. Fund it better. Drive decision-making to lower levels. Focus on retention of top performers, even in the US.