IBM - Company downsizing...opportunities limited | Glassdoor

"Company downsizing...opportunities limited"

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to get your feet wet if you are newly graduated from college or have a Masters. People still consider seeing IBM on a resume as a positive. Variety of locations and the company is targeting interns and low cost employees.

Cons

Company is currently in a downsizing mode. Thousands of workers are being fired (Resource Actioned) this quarter. Overall goal is to reduce employee head count worldwide, but especially in the US. Opportunities are limited at this time. Older employees are targeted for the layoffs. The yearly performance review cycle process is bogus and not effective. They rate you based on quotas and in anticipation of the next Resource Action. There have been no raises for a few years and the bonus program is all but eliminated except for a chosen few.

Very little work life balance. You are asked to do more for less. You are doing the work of 2, 3, 4 employees now since head count continues to decrease. Sixty to seventy hour weeks are commonplace, as is weekend work. The even removed the term "work-life balance" and replaced it with "work-life integration" in the charter. There is no respect for the employee anymore, and in fact, that term was also removed from the charter.

Overall, salaries are a bit below industry standards and as mentioned above, there are no raises or even cost of living increases.

The company is on a down swing. Many do not believe it will ever recover. I tell you honestly, this is not the same IBM as we knew 20, 30, 40 years ago. I've been with the company for close to 20 years now, and the changes are striking. I know my time is coming and am making plans to land on my feet when it does.

Advice to Management

This section is irrelevant. Management does not care, or listen to, any employee feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Poor return on pension, really, after all my years of service 1%?"

Former Employee - Storage Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Storage Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can't think of any, used to be a good resume builder, not anymore.

Cons

Lost their vision. Too much nepotism. Poor pay, too many chiefs, not enough "producing" Indians. A 1% return paid on my pension after all my years of service? Talk about a slap in the face. It was bad enough when you took it away, but with all your profits to only pay 1%? Worthless.

Advice to Management

Keep cutting to the bone and treating your employees like crap. I'm sure you'll land safely with your golden parachute, but you'll be known as Captain's of the Titanic.

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sounds impressive to work for IBM. Used to bleed blue for the company, when the company put the employee and their family first.

Cons

Management is poor at best. Management has created a structure shielding their peers. Company loyalty is to the share holders. Employees are considered a commodity, like livestock.

Advice to Management

Get back to the base operational values of the company founders. Your employees will delight you with unbridled enthusiasm and productivity.