IBM - Excellent people, management without conscience or a clue | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Excellent people, management without conscience or a clue"

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are very comprehensive, including work-from-home for many positions. Vacation time is decent and overtime is reasonable (it happens, but not excessively). Colleagues tend to be smart, and low-level management (first and second line) tend to be good.

Cons

IBM has been working as hard as it can for a decade to destroy its internal talent and expertise. Upper management actively suppresses any contrary views or problems from bubbling up the management chain. US workforce has shrunk breathtakingly, there is no career advancement or even lateral movement, reorganizations are *constant*, and education and development is either non-existant or taken away with the next reorg. Massive outsourcing with no care taken for quality of hires. Then there's the constant selling off of divisions (Global Network, Network Services, Hard Drives, PC's, Intel Servers - and that's just during my tenure). New companies are acquired constantly but never integrated into a cohesive whole, leaving a mishmash of overlapping pieces that do nothing to benefit each other; many ultimately decay into nothing and vanish. Strategy shifts constantly, organizations, products, and offerings rename rather than reform or improve. I honestly doubt there will be anything left of this company within a decade.

On a personal level, compensation is significantly below-market. Bonuses (aka "variable pay"; project bonuses disappeared a decade ago) are consistently below 2% even for top performers (annual rating of 2+). Salary increases are non-existant. My gross pay went up less than 3% total over a period of five years, and 70% of my years there increases trailed inflation (i.e., real income dropped).

Advice to Management

Come up with a strategy (other than "boost the stock price") and stick with it. Stop re-organizing and laying off divisions. Focus on letting your very-smart people accomplish great things. All of this will be harder as the company shrinks and loses talent through layoffs and attrition.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "It was a great learning experience for a first job out of school."

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, it's truly a collaborative environment.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement is difficult, particularly if you do not manage up properly.

"Corporate Politics, but large network"

Current Employee - Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like may large corporations IBM is no different it is very easy to either get lost in the crowd and be paid for the 40 hours you expect to commit, or you can work hard and quickly be recognized for your contributions. The time off is great overall, you essentially have 3 weeks of paid time off, and have the option to choose which holidays you take off.

Cons

First and foremost when being offered a salary consider the fact that at most you will receive on an annual basis a 4% increase, and that is if you are part of the top 1%-5% of employees. I suggest you ask for a salary you will be comfortable with for the next 3 years. It is also extremely political, and will overwork and undervalue their hardest working employees. I was essentially promised a role when I first moved into management, leading other departmental managers. However, I have been placed in the same role for nearly 2 years with the same responsibilities I was promised and then some. I not only have ~20 people reporting directly to me, but I also manage 2 other team leaders.

Advice to Management

Layoffs happen, that's the nature of the business; however, be methodical about who is released, and not what their role is. I have seen a number of great employees leave, and a number of employees who will be with the company until they retire who should've been let go years ago.