IBM - Great opportunity to gain experience in a global, corporate type work atmosphere | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Great opportunity to gain experience in a global, corporate type work atmosphere"

Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY
Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees generally take great pride in company. Many opportunities for career exploration (rotating to different positions is encouraged. Opportunities to work abroad. Expansive employee training opportunities. Co-workers generally willing to provide mentoring and help.

Cons

Perhaps lack of office community (although this may be unique to my experience, I enjoyed working from home when possible but there are obvious drawbacks). Workflow can be frustrating, certainly ebbs and flows

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Great people to work with."

Current Intern - Computer Programmer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Intern - Computer Programmer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay for the location I worked with challenging job tasks to keep my day interesting. Supportive management with opportunity for job growth.

Cons

There really were not any cons or working at IBM. They probably could have used more company outings, but like I said the job was great and paid well with flexible hours.

"Two tours totaling 14 years - leaving again"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great company for one to start their career, but don't make the mistake on hanging out too long. IBM is a sales organization, which just happens to be in technology. It used to be run by sales people with an ethos of work hard, play hard. But that's been gone for a decade +. The bean counters have taken over the top offices and have slowly taken away all the things that made this company fun to be a part of. If you're on commission, expect a 1% salary increase about once every 3 years, so negotiate well on your way in the door. My recommendation for anyone starting here is to learn all you can in 2-3 years, then leave and go to a competitor - you'll see the same business from another angle and become a very well rounded IT professional.

Cons

Like any sales organization, whatever you achieved in the past, is the past, and there is a new quarter ahead. If you're hitting your quota early, they will increase it and say that you'll appreciate the challenge. There is management by intimidation, but retribution seems rare. The last few months have been a particularly heartbreaking time - 4 rounds of layoffs in the last 6 months, because the share price is much more important than the people who've made this company great for our customers. Commission statements are delivered via random number generator, where it's nearly impossible to determine if you're getting paid on your accounts, or those of someone else. If you have a commission dispute, IBM outsourced that aspect of the business to South America years ago, and they have little time, or sympathy to help resolve money issues for people whom they feel are paid too much. Tuition reimbursement is a thing of the past - better to hire from outside than foster organic development. At conferences when the company hosts a party, they'll let in the customers, but not the IBMers who brought the customers. Sometimes a little awkward. With regards to compensation IBM consistently pays at the low end of the scale. And the benefits get more expensive and cover less each year.

Advice to Management

Way too many levels of management, which is why our products are so expensive - 75 people (65 of which are overlays who never touched an account) need to get paid for every widget sold. You need to closely examine the first line managers, as they are essential to the career development of the people in the field. While there are some outstanding people here, I've had a few managers who provide zero value, and have actually done damage to the morale of the team they manage. Keep in mind the job of a first line manager is among the worst in the company - you job is to deliver bad news from above, have very little influence over change, and your main task is to inform your team of new administrivia tasks with short deadlines, and forward emails.