IBM - Work a million hours, make a million dollars! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Work a million hours, make a million dollars!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people! Leading technology. Plenty of on line resources and training. Enough job specialization that you can find a niche where you do what you love and someone else will do the other stuff. You can make lots of money.

Cons

1st line managers are often geographically remote. For upper management, its all about the numbers; do not expect any personal consideration for unique circumstances. Money follows effort, but it takes lots of effort.

Advice to Management

Year after year, we hear about salary increases being tied to a market reference point (midpoint for similar skills). Yet, we advertise that our people are the best. Please don't tell me I can't get a raise because I am above the market reference point, then sell me to a client as some sort of superman!

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Vast Skills and Expertise but Difficulty in Execution"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Acts with integrity. Employs great people. Depth of expertise and innovation (leader in patents for many years).

Cons

Extreme emphasis on process and approvals stifles creativity and risk taking. Short-term focus on earnings per share trumps long-term view and treating employees well. Difficulty in growing revenue. Low employee morale and loyalty.

Advice to Management

Empower employees to make decisions. Grow revenue. Reward people for their contributions. Adopt a long-term focus that balances business results and employee satisfaction.

2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Princeton, NJ

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of talented people to learn from and good place to gain new knowledge and experiences.

Cons

Bureaucracy which is inherent to large corporations wherein you spent a significant amount of your time focusing on the administrative processes to deliver a product to market.