IBM - Great place to gain experience, but always had to "look over my shoulder" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Great place to gain experience, but always had to "look over my shoulder""

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

- IBMers are some of the best people to work with in terms of skill and dedication. I have learned a lot from my colleagues there.
- Excellent benefits including a pension (I am not sure if this is still available for new hires).

Cons

- Frequent Resource Actions (RIF)
- Always felt pressured to look for a new job within IBM even though my first line manager was a Professional Development Manager or a Resource Manager. Why not help me find a job?

Advice to Management

- The resource actions that have been taken have affected the morale of your employees. I was RA'd in 2009, but I found a new job quickly and have not looked back. Remember these former employees will become employees of companies that will influence the purchase of your products or services --- or they may not.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Tough place to survive"

Former Employee - Business Operations Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Business Operations Support Specialist

Pros

IBM offers a wealth of resources to their employees and the name commands instant respect.

Cons

The company is constantly reorganizing and it can feel like musical chairs trying to know where you fit in the grand sceme. You are always wondering if your job will be eliminated or sent off shore.

Advice to Management

slow the pace of acquitions and allow your employees to settle in to their roles.

2. "IBM Global Services - what is it"

Current Employee - IT Specialist
    Current Employee - IT Specialist

Pros

Decent medical coverage
    Ability to work from home.
    You manage your work.

Cons

Major red tapes which equates to overhead and productivity
    Huge overturned. Constantly training people. All most all position are offshored to India.
    US SME's train India to take their jobs.
    Constantly looking for new assignments or get on a "bench" and off the payroll. Most positions are 3-6 months term.
    Overworked, no time for training; can not take long vacation.
    No reimbursement for Internet access even though you work from home 100%.
    Perform consulting works without consulting pay.
    Can not plan for your future (big investment like buying a house) since there is no "job security"

Advice to Management

Stop trying to do the dirty works for other corporations who try do massive layoff without a bad PR for a small fee. Your dirty work and a quick paycheck affect thousands of people and their families. Most of my peers were hard working, knowledgeable employee. They were gone because you moved the work elsewhere to less capable people.