IBM - Lots of Opportunities if you can stand the Bureaucracy | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Lots of Opportunities if you can stand the Bureaucracy"

Former Employee - FLM
Former Employee - FLM

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a lifetime career you can very well find it IBM. Benefits are good, pay is fair. It is the rare individual who will "kill it" from a salary standpoint, unless you time it right in sales, or are a GBS Partner. If you enjoy process overkill with minimal oversight and direction, freedom to shape your role and the opportunity to be involved in a massive team matrix style of management, IBM is an interesting place.

Cons

Surprising the number of "lifers" that are employed/in hiding at this company, many without any experience outside of IBM. IBM may pride itself on the number of acquisitions and the numbers of "new" IBMrs in the ranks, but those folks quickly figure out the stifling environment and bloated layers of management within the company and realize if they want to do anything innovative they seek roles elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Trim 100,000 employees, delayer management, find a stronger CEO with some direction.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Leadership more focused on shareholders and profit than actual innovation and valuable solutions."

Pros

IBM attracts really great people - my immediate team members have always been great to work with. Relatively fair compensation and benefits.

Cons

Leadership focused on short-term profits and shareholder priorities which in turn creates a lot of organizational changes which can be disruptive and create inefficiencies.

Lots of processes and red tape to navigate just to get your job done.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Be the conduit to listen to your team and help bring ideas up the management change rather than just pushing process down from the top level down.

2. "Laid back atmosphere"

Current Employee - Operator in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Operator in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my position there are no tight deadlines to speak of. Pretty laid back. Plenty of work to keep my busy, but not a lot of pressure to meet hard deadlines. I come from just the opposite so it's a huge difference for me.

Cons

Lotus Notes is terrible... I feel like it is the mid 90's. It's slow and buggy... I honestly could not stand using it if I was in my previous high pressure (and high email volume) job... Since my role at IBM is pretty laid back the lost productivity just means I get less done... but that's OK.

Required use of Linux as a desktop for anyone with privileged access. I like Linux as a server and like the command line but hate it for desktop OS.

Things can be slow to happen... like getting access to things or policy changes... etc...

Advice to Management

Make lotus notes work well, (i.e. be quick, responsive, and not buggy...) or move to a better email client... I can't imagine the lost productivity time multiplied by each of the 400k workers each year...