IBM - I think IBM has lost it way | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"I think IBM has lost it way"

Current Employee - STSM in Austin, TX
Current Employee - STSM in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong technical talent. You can find a person in IBM that is an expert on anything. This makes it a wonderful place to learn and grow.

Cons

Very large and bureaucratic. Not very nimble. Lots of people in middle management just looking for a way not to be blamed if things go wrong. The appraisals are more based on quotas and financials than on performance.

Advice to Management

The current narrow view on financials is slowly killing the value of the company. In a down economy one should be reinvesting in R&D. I think the focus on services and software is short sighted.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Company more worried about Earning Per Share (EPS) than culture"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Good number of hard working, intelligent practitioners still at in the firm that care about the development of fellow co-workers.
    2. Dollar-for-dollar 401K matching up to 6%.
    3. Strong health care benefits

Cons

1. Number of hard working practitioners attribute is overshadowed by the larger number or employees and majority of leadership who do not care.
    2. 401K match only applied to employee's account once each year, not per paycheck.
    3. Raises for top performers limited to 2% max annually, if any.
    4. Rarely any annual bonuses for top performers.
    5. No corporate funds for local office social gatherings

Advice to Management

Local office leadership should be more active in creating a local culture. Best employees are leaving for lack of mentoring and cut-cost-to-the-bone tactics. Employees viewed as commodities needs to cease.

2. "Pros and Cons"

Former Contractor - Intel Server Support in Charlotte, NC
    Former Contractor - Intel Server Support in Charlotte, NC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Direct hires got to work from home but I was a contractor. If we needed assets and tools, we got it. Great pay.

Cons

Being a contractor I was treated like a 2nd class citizen. No benefits, excluded from meetings and not allowed to work from home. However, they had a need for someone to join the on-call rotation, contractors weren't supposed to be eligible but I did it anyway. Employees are often treated like a number and not a person. Constant layoffs and relocations. Client we worked for was hostile towards us (some of the managers were anyway and they made life miserable). I stepped up and took over work for the Citrix admin but IBM hired a direct hire that I ended up having to train. Why not just hire me? Applied for and got a transfer (with the blessing of the contract company and all managers involved) to another team but a current project was holding up the transfer so they hired someone else days before I could join, then laid me off. The project delays were not my fault. Everyone I worked with said great things about me. My current position was being moved to India to cut costs but because others dragged their feet I lost the transfer and lost my job.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people, not numbers. Employee morale can do wonders for productivity and your bottom line. You could learn something from companies like Google.