IBM - Large corporation attempting to transform core businesses in order to lead the next generation of technology. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Large corporation attempting to transform core businesses in order to lead the next generation of technology."

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Best reasons to work here include opportunity to lead in many technology areas and great educational opportunity.

Cons

Some of the cons of working here are::while data as seen as a natural resource, employees are not. Benefits and opportunity are eroding - be it salary, health benefits, 401k (matching for the year only occurs if still on payroll as of year end, many jobs have moved outside of the US and to employees who have been with the company for less than 5 years.

Advice to Management

Determine direction and value employees' contributions. Inspire employees for the future by including in strategic direction and aligning skills to the opportunities.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Transition"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Somers, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Somers, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart People, Challenging work environment.. Tend to promote work life balance, but difficult to achieve in most roles. Lots of opportunity for job rotations.

Cons

Pay Programs and Benefits seem to erode each year and the employee morale has hit new lows at many locations.

Advice to Management

Differentiated Pay for Performance,

"Smart people and good for resume, but not a great experience"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are really smart. Great for the resume, as IBM is a pretty well respected company. My coworkers have left for great tech companies and top 5 business schools. Good benefits (but getting worse).

Cons

Hard to get recognition for good work. You're only as good as your PBC rating (IBM's end of year rating system), which can get pretty political and bureaucratic. Management is out of touch with employees and how they feel about the company. People at my level are VERY negative about IBM. Lots of turnover. In Public Sector you can get stuck on a project forever (I've been on the same one for my entire time at IBM and would have to burn a lot of bridges to get off of it, if I even could). 401K matching once a year is bad for employees. Do not feel connected to company as a whole. Management is out of touch with how employees feel about the company. Hard to motivate for IBM's success when the company doesn't give bonuses or raises for people who are supposedly performing well. After almost two years here, and performing very well according to all of my evaluations, I am actually making LESS money than when I started when you consider inflation and the fact that company healthcare costs have gone up.

Advice to Management

Stop making the entire focus of the company to increase earnings per share. Your employees are a great asset, and, from what I can see, you're losing a lot of the good ones by not making them feel like "just a number." Sending out emails about our "practices" is not enough to make employees enthusiastic about IBM.