IBM - Struggling | Glassdoor

"Struggling"

Current Employee - WW Leader
Current Employee - WW Leader

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand. Impressive consistency for a 100 year old company, nice people.

Cons

Too many layers of management, below average sellers, multiple sales overlays for every software group, cap earnings for sales, poor execution with technology delivery teams. Sadly, IBM isn't where top performers go to work, it's where they go to retire.

Advice to Management

You need some fresh blood. Company hasn't hit their revenue/growth targets in 8 quarters. Everyone mid level and above have been at IBM for 20+ years and know nothing but "the machine" and they are the only ones drinking their own cool-aide.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Great place to work if you embrace the pace and intensity"

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, interesting people to work with. Interesting clients and projects. Great environment to both have an impact on your clients' businesses and learn a great deal. IBM has a tremendous amount of intellectual capital that you can leverage in your consulting work for them.

Cons

Consulting scale model relies on long hours and diligence of consultants (as does almost every consulting company). This can lead to burn-out -- but they have been working to improve this.

2. "20 years and gone !"

Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked from home successfully for last 12 of my 20 years with the company. Management trusted their employees and supported the work-at-home model.

Cons

I think my story is common at IBM - once you're in your 50s with many years of success and service and making a bit more money, your position is eliminated through re-organization. What's worse, the internal job posting system uses keywords instead of people to sift through internal transfers and applications.

Advice to Management

Think about the experience that your more mature employees add to your business. And if the position of a top performing employee is truly being eliminated, try placing them in another position before pushing them out the door.