IBM - Culture revolves around the bottom line | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Culture revolves around the bottom line"

Current Employee - Consulting By Degrees Consultant in New York, NY
Current Employee - Consulting By Degrees Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of internal learning. You can find experts in any relevant field, most of which are happy to talk to you. Partnership with Apple is huge, brings a lot of publicity.

Cons

Culture. Too concerned with cost cutting and the bottom line. Do not treat employees very well, minimal perks. In consulting, they staff you where they need you, not based on interests. You can get stuck on a project in one role for years without much growth. They give their entry level consultants work that could be done by interns.

Advice to Management

Work on expanding and new sources of revenue rather than cost cutting (partnership with Apple is good for this). Give employees some perks to make them happy. So many entry level consultants are unhappy as they feel they are being taken advantage of and the perks don't compare to those of other companies (subway passes, using pretax dollars, holiday parties, etc.).

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Difficult work/life balance!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Work hours and schedule was quite flexible. As long as I got my work done, I was allowed to work from home (or anywhere else) 3-4 days a week and set my own schedule.
    -The projects are pretty interesting if you are a naturally curious person that always wants to keep learning.
    -Tons of smart, interesting people to meet and learn from; get to make connections and working relationships with people all over the world.
    -Free online courses or e-learning sessions that you can add to your resume. Always new stuff to learn, and an endless supply of subject matter experts to learn from.
    -Got to use company computer for personal use, like checking Twitter and Facebook, since using social media was part of my job. However, managers will come down on you if you abuse that privilege.

Cons

-The work was extremely challenging, and there was an ENDLESS amount of work to be done, especially with layoffs. Company would lay off a person, but still expect the same amount of work to be completed- so you have 1 person being held responsible for the workloads of 2-3 people.
    -Everyone is expected to work insanely long hours, all of the time.
    -Disheartening - I never felt "caught up" or accomplished at the end of the day, never left the office feeling like I had done a good job and I was prepared to come back the next morning. Even if I did make a lot of progress one day, I knew that everything could change overnight and I could wake up to a huge sh1tst0rm in my inbox.
    -Everyone's inbox at IBM is a nightmarish hell. Time management, productivity, and efficiency are major problems.
    -Bizarre work hours due to the I in IBM - International. Some weeks I had to work from home in my pajamas and sign on at 8pm and work until 6am, then sleep all day, so that I could have phone calls with China and Israel.

Advice to Management

Take care of your young employees and your old employees? I don't know. The management at IBM is so diverse... some managers are amazing, some are terrible, some are average.

2. "Managed to Wall Street rather than to customers or employees or for long term growth"

Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the fifteen years I was there, I worked with many very talented people across the globe. In the late '90's, talent and technical depth were developed, nurtured and expected to excel, and work/life balance and the internal culture was built to retain the best of the best. The people within IBM from that period, in the first two management tiers, are outstanding.

Cons

With the Service Delivery Center concept, people became commodities, and the brain trust in services was drained. Work life balance eroded along with benefits, training and retention. Executive direction became obsessed with quarterly reporting to Wall Street and the bonuses at the expense of long term performance planning and responsible expense planning, resulting in whimsical and contradictory leadership.