IBM - Difficult work/life balance! | Glassdoor

"Difficult work/life balance!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Work hours and schedule was quite flexible. As long as I got my work done, I was allowed to work from home (or anywhere else) 3-4 days a week and set my own schedule.
-The projects are pretty interesting if you are a naturally curious person that always wants to keep learning.
-Tons of smart, interesting people to meet and learn from; get to make connections and working relationships with people all over the world.
-Free online courses or e-learning sessions that you can add to your resume. Always new stuff to learn, and an endless supply of subject matter experts to learn from.
-Got to use company computer for personal use, like checking Twitter and Facebook, since using social media was part of my job. However, managers will come down on you if you abuse that privilege.

Cons

-The work was extremely challenging, and there was an ENDLESS amount of work to be done, especially with layoffs. Company would lay off a person, but still expect the same amount of work to be completed- so you have 1 person being held responsible for the workloads of 2-3 people.
-Everyone is expected to work insanely long hours, all of the time.
-Disheartening - I never felt "caught up" or accomplished at the end of the day, never left the office feeling like I had done a good job and I was prepared to come back the next morning. Even if I did make a lot of progress one day, I knew that everything could change overnight and I could wake up to a huge sh1tst0rm in my inbox.
-Everyone's inbox at IBM is a nightmarish hell. Time management, productivity, and efficiency are major problems.
-Bizarre work hours due to the I in IBM - International. Some weeks I had to work from home in my pajamas and sign on at 8pm and work until 6am, then sleep all day, so that I could have phone calls with China and Israel.

Advice to Management

Take care of your young employees and your old employees? I don't know. The management at IBM is so diverse... some managers are amazing, some are terrible, some are average.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Managed to Wall Street rather than to customers or employees or for long term growth"

Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the fifteen years I was there, I worked with many very talented people across the globe. In the late '90's, talent and technical depth were developed, nurtured and expected to excel, and work/life balance and the internal culture was built to retain the best of the best. The people within IBM from that period, in the first two management tiers, are outstanding.

Cons

With the Service Delivery Center concept, people became commodities, and the brain trust in services was drained. Work life balance eroded along with benefits, training and retention. Executive direction became obsessed with quarterly reporting to Wall Street and the bonuses at the expense of long term performance planning and responsible expense planning, resulting in whimsical and contradictory leadership.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBM is a great company. Working with smart people. The flexibility to work from home is a big advantage over other companies. IBM knows how to succeed in the tech market.

Cons

Working in the Hardware group has been difficult. Low morale. Unimpressive bonuses and raises. They have let go of experienced hard working engineers for the sake of saving money.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for current employees.