IBM - Managed to Wall Street rather than to customers or employees or for long term growth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Managed to Wall Street rather than to customers or employees or for long term growth"

Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA
Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the fifteen years I was there, I worked with many very talented people across the globe. In the late '90's, talent and technical depth were developed, nurtured and expected to excel, and work/life balance and the internal culture was built to retain the best of the best. The people within IBM from that period, in the first two management tiers, are outstanding.

Cons

With the Service Delivery Center concept, people became commodities, and the brain trust in services was drained. Work life balance eroded along with benefits, training and retention. Executive direction became obsessed with quarterly reporting to Wall Street and the bonuses at the expense of long term performance planning and responsible expense planning, resulting in whimsical and contradictory leadership.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Very focused on the EPS target"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IBM provides an excellent opportunity to work with smart people across many different lines of business. The benefits are excellent.

Cons

IBM js too focused on 2015 EPS target. There is way too much micro-management associated with selling in IBM, and the tools available for sales people to manage their business are relatively primitive.

Advice to Management

Do more to provide our technical specialists and sales team with the training needed to keep up to date with changes in technology. Provide our consultants with more training regarding "soft skills" - there are times when we need consultants more than we need technicians.

2. "Pressured, goal oriented."

Current Employee - Technical Support in Daleville, IN
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Daleville, IN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) The company focuses on team cohesion.
    2) The company maintains clean facilities.
    3) The company offers training throughout employment.

Cons

1) This company has extremely pressured tasks.
    2) No downtime whatsoever between job tasks... Maybe one minute.