IBM - IBM, a great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"IBM, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

1- TIme off
2- Salary
3- Management

I really like working there. Im lowly, but I really like the people I work with and I get treated well

Cons

The hours. I have to work a lot during the week.

Advice to Management

Take more time to spend with young people with potential, not just those on the fast track. Ive seen so many bright people leave because they dont get attention

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "company culture"

Former Employee - Bus Development in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Bus Development in San Jose, CA

Pros

you are exposed to the latest enterprise technology. the treat tech people with respect, but others areas are 2nd class citizens

Cons

you can learn things in your area only, you are not encouraged to make changes or take calculated risks. they set so many rules for you to follow, if you don't follow, you get a warming.

Advice to Management

think outside of the box, don't blue wash the new comers.

"Not the Place to Spend a Long Time"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Most of the world has not clued in yet that IBM is just another company, so having experience there carries a lot of weight.

Cons

IBM, from all reports, used to be something special: but no more: it is just another company. In the name of shareholder value -- their only benchmark for policy -- they have reduced education to a set of crummy online classes, all but eliminated salary increases, and slashed staffing levels to the detriment of their clients. Local managers have little control over employee ratings or salary increases: they are dictated by bean counters far removed from the employees. Hence, ratings and raises barely reflect an employee's performance. All travel and discretionary spending has been eliminated. Perks like Christmas Parties or Company Picnics are done. On my project, we had potluck events in which the managers had to pay out of pocket for the meat/BBQ for the staff.

Morale at IBM is very low, and there is a huge brain drain. In my 10-year stint, most of the long-term IBMers (15+ years and more) jumped ship. Communication, usually in the form of glowing profit reports, comes down from on high, as if the news meant anything to rank and file. Upper management continues to cut everything while crowing about how wonderfully the company is performing. Almost every employee regards this brainless cheerleading as a joke. The company is either clueless or heedless: take your pick.

All work now -- from application development to project management to administration -- is distributed into separate towers that are physically remote, and often offshored to BRIC countries. Anyone in a job classification not requiring "face time" with clients is a likely target for layoffs, which occur, at minimum, yearly. Opportunity is limited, and in my sector -- government -- IBM's business model, which operates on the idea of premium pricing for premium services, rings hollow to cash-strapped governments. IBM's take is to offshore almost all the work or bid at normal rates and lose. Not a very long horizon for most people, especially in the technical realm.

Almost everyone I know at my former project is trying to leave the company. I got out just in time.

Advice to Management

None. These guys own a lot of stock, so their main incentive is to raise stock prices.