IBM - Good or Bad...at IBM you will have to create your own career path... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Good or Bad...at IBM you will have to create your own career path..."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Big clients, projects and smart people. Great name on the resume and for someone starting out in their career.

Cons

Huge company so you have to make your own path and if you are not one of the highly valued consultants (mainly Associate Partners or Senior Managing Consultants) you can get lost in the shuffle and not compensated for the value you bring the organization.

Advice to Management

Focus more on people development at the lower levels, hold managers accountable for their people's development

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Great organization"

Current Employee - Client Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

Intelligent people, great opportunities to move either vertically or horizontally, great organization. I feel that benefits and salary, while not the highest in the industry are more than fair and employees are treated very well. It is certainly a sales driven organization so working in sales you get the best of everything (however that also includes higher expectations). However, I have friends working at Oracle and elsewhere and I certainly wouldn't trade my experience with any of their's.

Cons

Huge company, some amount of internal hassles when trying to procure things. Since it is a matrixed organization org charts can be a bit difficult to figure out.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow each sales group/ region to be more autonomous in the way that they operate.

"Age Discrimination at IBM Research"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hawthorne, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hawthorne, NY

Pros

Salaries are good. Work-life balance is very good -- I was able to work at home regularly. Basically, I was able to take off all the time I needed, but performance expectations were not adjusted accordingly. There are many smart people at IBM Research, and it's possible to learn a lot. Seminars on various topics are offered constantly. I found that the variety of work was very good until the last year or two that I was there. I was able to transition from desktop programming to Web programming. Everyone who works at Research in Hawthorne has their own office, which is another plus.

Cons

The performance rating system is seriously broken. When I did well, I was told that "Your work was good this year" -- nothing more. Details were forthcoming only when management thought that my performance was inadequate. I was forced to resign after being given a negative performance review and being given 6 months to improve my performance. This trial period was a joke, as I worked myself to the bone to meet the goals that were given to me, and I did meet the goals, but was told that I had not met the goals. I believe that the motive for these actions on the part of management was age discrimination.

Advice to Management

I would discontinue the practive of age discrimination. I would fix the PBC (Personal Business Commitments) system. It appears that first-line management is rated primarily on the individual work they do (e.g. writing papers and going to conference) than on the way they manage. Also, every department is run differently. Senior management needs to adopt and enforce software development best practices. I had difficulty getting my manager to support using source code control!