IBM - A great work/life balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"A great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Work/Life balance. A large portion of IBM works from home and flexibility is part of the culture as long as goals are met.

Cons

Large, rigid corporation. People don't leave often so opportunities for advancement come much slower than in smaller organizations.

Advice to Management

Quit wasting Billions buying back stock and keep salaries pacing inflation, last year you spend 20x the money buying back stock while employees lagged inflation. Demand more from employees in exchange for keeping up with inflation. In the short term keeping salaries low works but long term your employees start to focus on side jobs to maintain thier quality of life.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Good place to work if you can stand the billable hour stupidity and the outsourcing stupidity."

Current Employee - Advisory I/T Architect in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Advisory I/T Architect in Lexington, KY

Pros

The flexible work schedule, the good pay, and the people I work with are the primary things that keep me here. I could never go back to having set start and stop times for work; I have a child now and it's wonderful to be able to take time during the day to attend something at preschool or just not try to yank her out of bed before she's ready.

The pay is good, and I enjoy the work I'm doing for the most part. I think I'm one of the lucky ones in both regards. The people are nice overall, and I really enjoy working with the people on my team.

Cons

The only metric that management has is a billable hour. That leads to a lot of really stupid decisions, and they're losing good people left and right because of this. Another primary strategy is to get rid of as many US employees as possible (due to cost), so these people are not being replaced.

Nobody seems to care if an employee in a different country can do the job at all. They're cheaper, so they're hired. Just like in the US, some of these folks are bright and motivated -- we don't pay competitively in those countries, so you can bet you're training them up for some other company. Others are worthless, and they'll stay around for a long time, accomplishing nothing -- but management doesn't care, because they're not in the US.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting things done, not billing hours. Realize that people truly are your most valuable asset, and not a liability. Stop promoting people just because they've stuck it out long enough.

"This is not your father's IBM, and that's too bad........."

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

IBM used to be a great place to work. They have big company benefits and name recognition which bolster your resume and IBM is highly regarded in the industry. One of the biggest benefits to working for IBM is the ability to work from a home office, which saves you time and money by removing the commute from your daily routine, although IBM does get that commute time back from you in extra hours worked. Another great advantage to working for IBM is exposure to insiders at Fortune 500 companies that may help you in your job search once you're thoroughly disgusted with IBM.

Cons

IBM no longer has respect for the individual. Employees are treated as commodities. Benefits have eroded and IBM no longer pays market for their skills. Some items that are touted as benefits (such as tuition reimbursement) are not available for the employee population at large. IBM used to have a pretty good bonus program (variable pay) but the percentages have tumbled even as the stock has risen to a 7 year high. IBM touts itself as a company that supports work-life balance, but the truth of the matter is that they've laid off so many people that the folks that are left (that haven't been reclassified as non-exempt workers) are forced to work more hours to get the same job done. Also, IBM lags other companies in their own leveraging of technology. My advice: if you have a comparable offer elsewhere, take it. If you work for IBM in the US and haven't already been offshored, it's just a matter of time.

IBM is so process-heavy that it can't get out of it's own way. People in IBM use the "process" to avoid doing the right thing for the customer. Way too much red tape for my taste and the customer always takes a back seat to whatever IBM's pet program is at the time.

Advice to Management

Scrap the current review system (PBC = Personal Business Commitments) and find some other way to rate employees. Most managers don't really know what their employees do on a day to day basis and the remote workplace creates a challenge to fairly evaluate employees.

Create some sort of program that keeps employees' pay level with inflation. I've received a total of 3% raises in the past year (which is more than most people received within IBM) but my out of pocket expenses for my own benefits (health insurance) have increased faster than my pay. Cost of living raises would go a long way.

Walk the talk - create an atmosphere with respect for the individual. Value the employees that made this company successful, instead of laying them off in favor of offshore resources.

Offer more equity-based programs - it appears that stock options and grants have all but disappeared. There is nothing here to retain good employees. IBM's name is no longer enough.

Allow employees the latitute to take care of the customer, instead of hiding behind process. Let's see how well we can delight the customer with our superior service and make them happy to pay the premium rate, instead of hiding behind programs such as LEAN and trying to get away with delivering the least amount of service possible.