IBM - Ensure that your profile holder isn't a clock puncher, otherwise say hi to 1% promotions. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Ensure that your profile holder isn't a clock puncher, otherwise say hi to 1% promotions."

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)

Pros

Good opportunities, new projects keep you busy and sharp.

Cons

Lack of work life balance. Low pay when compared to the market. Too much emphasis on outsourcing jobs to growth markets. Lack of employee morale these days.

Advice to Management

You are starting to see brain and talent drain. I got 3x my salary outside of IBM at an other fortune 500 while IBM could only increase my bands without salary increases.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

"Mix and match things. I’ve spent more then 5 years in IBM AT&T account and here m sharing what has happened in this dura"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

Pros

Brand name
    1. Flexible working hours, work from home facility
    2. Shift allowances.
    3. Learn various IT processes
    4. Many training programs (Softskill, technical, processes) held where you can grow in both the directions, vertical as well as horizontal.
    5. No politics I’ve noticed in my journey so far.
    6. You get exposure to work on large scale projects
    7. I would say very good onsite chances if you show loyalty to management.

Cons

1. Work/Life -> depends if you have relaxed stuff then okay (3/4 months out of 12 months) but most of the time you spend doing late night
    2. You usually spend time in attending various un-necessary meetings rather then focusing on the actual work.
    3. Processes make your grow limited since for the maintenance and enhancement work you spend 60-70% of the time in documentation and very less in implementation hence you end up in doing late night work.
    4. Although the fixes/patches are simple, you forcefully asked to go with the processes which takes huge time and end up in client not satisfied.
    5. Frankly speaking here you get horizontal growth in leading the team, direct client interactions etc but very much lack in the vertical where most of the chances are you lose all your technical ability.
    6. After all the salary usually very less compare to service based industries. No doubt if you are hired then you get very good CTC but company does not follow strategy to retain critical resources.
    7. When you get a chance for onsite, its like you go for your own since all the approvals, travel/hotel bookings you have to do your own. The same I have come to know from the competitor organization (from colleague) where there the processes are quite smooth and in favor of employees.

Advice to Management

The way I see IBM service industry is going, it is lacking behind to retain good resources.
    The complete model become government looks like.

Rectify the loop holes and please do perform on that since I see client satisfaction is sustained but employees are totally dis-satisfied.

Rather losing critical resources wrt very less salary and replace by new joinees and rather then giving new people 50% hike you don’t think so that you should make corrections to the existing employees’ salary. Btw it has been discussed long before but nothing happened. Good show IBM.

"Inida Bangalore Machines"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

Pros

Work and life balance/ Telecommute

Cons

Everything else. Mgmt is incompetent and completely unaware of how much effort it takes to deliver.

Advice to Management

Retire already and let the people with real knowledge and real ideas move up and lead IBM before it goes off the cliff