IBM - Great Place with work with great minds! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Great Place with work with great minds!"

Former Employee - Development Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Development Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

The best part of my experience in IBM was the right mix of engineering and research. While I was working on real product, I also got to solve challenging problems to make my way.

Cons

Did not work long enough to find a downside. Except they are not in a hiring spree. Otherwise great.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work would be most of it. On a side note: finding ways to speed up the logistics of a new hire will help.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "The transition into IBM for acquired companies is quite rapid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Opportuinty to grow and development. Access to subject matter experts and thought leaders.

Cons

If your company is acquired by IBM, just continue to keep an open mind

Advice to Management

Create mentorship programs for newly acquired companies and partnerships across similar departments to expedite learning.

"Corporate earnings have become more important than employees"

Current Employee - Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

IBM culture and management have traditionally been supportive of employees' advancement and career development, allowing for people to try different disciplines. There is a system in place to ensure that promotions and financial compensation/incentives are merit based (not based on internal politics).

I think that the financial compensation is competitive with industry standards. Though benefits seem to have been cut back over the years, I think they are still competitive with the industry.

Cons

It seems more and more evident that everything at IBM comes down to "the bottom line" (money/revenue). Earnings per share (and the resulting Executive compensation) seems to have become more important to the corporation than their employees.

The company cuts back costs (staff, equipment, contract services) at the expense of the workers. Meaning we are expected to "do more with less." This mentality seemed reasonable at first, but it has perpetuated into a vicious cycle where we expect more and more (and more!) out of our people. Many/Most people are overworked, and work-life balance seems to be a distant memory.

While the culture has traditionally supported employee career development, in harder economic times managers can be reluctant to let their good employees pursue opportunities, for fear of losing the head count - Finance will see it as a chance to save money (and not allow you to backfill the position)... So if somebody leaves your group, more likely than not, one of the existing team members will just have to absorb the additional work... again adding to the overworked staff.

There are MANY corporate practices/processes that have been put in place over many years. Most (not all) of these processes were meant to make sure that the teams delivered a high quality product that met certain industry standards/regulations. Though we cut back on staff, and we have to do more with less, we never seem to cut back on process. This is a double-edges sword... Cutting back on some of these practices/process may cause us to deliver a poorer quality product, or to not meet certain standards/regulations... But not cutting back on process means that more and more of our time is spent navigating process. Spending time on this, and trying to get your "real work" done adds to the problem of an overworked staff.

While there is a system in place to compensate based on merit, over the years the differentiation between the best employees and the average employees has become laughable (corporate funding for these programs seem lower than expected, especially considering reported company earnings). The minuscule difference between compensation for the best and the average employees have made many people question the point of working so hard (If you can put in less effort and get compensated the same, why kill yourself working 60 hour weeks???).

Finance seems to be making many decisions which they are not qualified to make. All they care about revenue versus expense. They have been given power to dictate our expenses, though they do not understand the impact of cutting certain expenses. Penny pinching today may cause you revenue for the next few years if we don't have enough resources to put out a product.

Advice to Management

Most of the lower level managers are just trying to get by (survive) in an environment where we are expected to "do more with less." Upper level management (Executives) need to realize that we are at a breaking point and we can continue down this path. Many of our good people will look for opportunities to leave the company as soon as the economy gets better.