ICF - Empowered and Relatively Satisfied | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ICF

"Empowered and Relatively Satisfied"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my own experience, many managers are happy to empower team members to innovate and work directly with clients to craft solutions and build long-term relationships. And people are, mostly, very helpful across the company and will spend their own time to support each other.

Cons

There are consistent issues labeled as "growing pains" but since the industry model is to "grow or die" - it's silly to frame these issues as something we'll eventually get over.

Advice to Management

As we're growing, don't look to the big firms for guidance on how we should be structured or. We're better because we're different. Let's stay better.

Other Employee Reviews for ICF

"Poor Management -- Constantly Re-inventing the Wheel"

Former Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large sized, established company. Relatively high annual revenue. Corporate stability. People from the business units (not from corporate operations) are generally pleasant to work with.

Cons

I had worked at ICF for 4 years. After 2 years on the job, I was the most senior member of my department of 6+/- employees. Never once did my department ever promote an employee from within (new hires were brought in to take all senior positions). I never once received a promotion (I was promised a promotion through merit on 2 occasions) despite having the highest annual performance reviews in my department every year I was at ICF. My department seemed to have an aversion to promoting from within, for whatever reason (which was the reason 4 of the 5 other employees in my department departed). This caused great detriment to employee morale as long serving, highly effective employees who were passed over for promotions were expected to train outside hires to take senior positions.

Management was constantly restructuring department structure and implementing/eliminating policies and procedures to the point that no one knew what the current structure or policies & procedures were. The constant restructuring occurred literally at least once a year. After 3 1/2 years, structure and policies & procedures virtually returned to the way they had been before I started, which raises the question "why were they changed in the first place?"

In addition to the frenetic revamping that constantly went on, there seemed to be a culture of pettiness, dishonesty and "back-stabbing" within the management team of my department. I often thought "if management devoted half of the time towards implementing effective structure and policies & procedures that they do to petty squables and trying to one-up each other, the work environment would be bordering on ideal."

Also, one minor thing that always bothered me was that ICF makes employees pay for parking in the parking garage that is part of ICF's leased space in Fairfax, VA (there are no other alternatives for parking at this location) and is solely reserved for ICF employees (with the exception of visitor spaces on the lower level). The collection of fees for parking might not be so aggravating, except that ICF then uses those fees to pay subsidies and rewards to employees who take mass transit (which is not an option for most people at ICF, especially for people in my department who are required to work long and varied hours).

Advice to Management

Upper management (CEO, CFO, COO) needs to examine the damage caused by poor management in the corporate operations sector. Poor middle-management has lead to an astoundingly high employee turn-over rate.

"Great place to get started, get a good grounding of energy markets and deterministic modelling."

Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High degree of learning, especially for the first two years. Experience valued by industry.

Cons

Can be buried by modelling and not develop market knowledge. No client interaction.

Advice to Management

Allow junior staff greater freedom. Focus on merit rather than tenure for promotions for senior management.