ICF - An opportunity to gain experience, but not to grow | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ICF

"An opportunity to gain experience, but not to grow"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work at ICF is varied and can be very exciting.

Cons

Contract assignments are generally dependent on certifications and friendships with project management. There is not much support to grow your career except from project experience.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending that changes to benefits and work/life balance are for any other reason than to maintain profitability, and then be willing to negotiate with your most talented staff, especially when it comes to promotions and salary increases.

Other Employee Reviews for ICF

"Horrible support system, did not give agreed-upon pay!"

Former Contractor - Field Interviewer in Middletown, PA
    Former Contractor - Field Interviewer in Middletown, PA

I worked at ICF as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

As a field interviewer, it was nice to have the freedom to work outside over the summer and travel about. My job was to sit on river banks and survey people if they came to use water access points, which should have been a pretty sweet gig.

Cons

* Did NOT give me the pay they agreed to--after at least 20 calls and emails over six months, they still owe me around $300 that they simply never sent. I'm so furious at this point that I've stopped even trying. I was polite, I begged, I pleaded, I went to higher management, nothing. My assigned supervisor simply ignored most of my emails and never returned my voicemails.
    * They reported my taxes on my W2s incorrectly, stating I earned less than a third of what I actually should have, meaning I missed out on getting my full tax refund as well as original pay.
    * The project I worked for was a contract with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, while the people who organized the project at ICF were located in Vermont. As a result, none of them knew where anything was in PA, and the sites they chose for me to survey people at were often not only completely useless, they were downright unsafe--multiple people I talked to warned me that as a college-aged woman, I absolutely should not be in there areas alone as it was well-known locally that meth addicts and rapists hung around them. Not even kidding. I tried contacting them many times about this during my contract and while I got plenty of "oh no, we'll do something" responses, sure enough, they sent me right back.
    * When I was originally hired, they told me none of my assigned sites would be more than 45 minutes from my home, and that I would only get travel pay (55.5 cents per mile) when traveling between sites during a shift, not to and from my home. That would have been okay if it weren't for the fact that the distance was a blatant lie--most of them were closer to three hours from my home. I managed to talk them into pay for all my driving, but it was still absolutely pointless to drive three hours, spend four hours sitting on an empty river bank where absolutely no one showed up, then drive three hours home. The sites and times were assigned and allowed to leeway, and were randomized, which would be a decent survey set up if prior research was done. Instead, I was sent to remote areas, down miles of nearly impassable dirt roads, for 7am-11am shifts on Wednesdays, and similar idiotic schedules. I gather absolutely zero useful data... the only thing I really accomplished was to put more than 2,000 miles of wear and tear on my car in a month and a half.

Advice to Management

Research your projects first! Fire the incompetent fools who run your projects and deal with employees! And for god's sake, try to be decent human beings!

2. "Rewarding most of the time."

Current Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, culture promotes good quality work, reasonable workload and diversity of projects, flexible to family and student life

Cons

Motivation of the staff varies greatly, few opportunities or incentives for junior staff to gain management or business development experience, mission and culture keeps staff more than compensation and benefits

Advice to Management

Overly reliant on specific contracts; culture and structure restricts flow of ideas, skills, and skews compensation based on talent and workload across service areas at all levels