ICF - Predictable first "real" job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ICF

"Predictable first "real" job"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - Research Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work with some really good people.

Cons

The work is very abstract. It is a lot of typical entry level work and stuff that you probably did as an intern. There are a lot of days where I'm on my way home and think about everything I did that day in terms of paperwork and various tasks and say "what the hell did I actually do today?". Overall is is a pretty good company and that type of feeling is to be expected at your first job and in office work in general, but its not glamorous and it's hard to tell if you are really making an impact or if you are just another government consultant making money without making a difference.

Advice to Management

Really try to help your junior staff understand the projects on a higher level. Let them know that the seemingly meaningless task they are stuck doing actually plays a bigger role later and that it's not just something that you as a manager didn't want to do. Also, schedule your own meetings.

Other Employee Reviews for ICF

"And so the death spiral begins..."

Current Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some excellent people working here.

Cons

It's a consulting company, so the only capital is people. But because the goal is to chase stock price, people are now treated as a commodity. Benefits cut last year. This year everybody gets the same (small) raise, no matter much they contribute to the bottom line or hours put in, no matter how well you grade on the review (what a farce!). No money for conferences, no training, outdated equipment. No one will tell you what the rules for promotion are. It's who you know.

2. "Intense and Federally-focused Environmental Consulting Firm"

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic organization; fast-paced. There are many positive career opportunities within ICF, but the lask of support from middle management is astounding.

Cons

Very serious corporate culture; there is no personal connection with co-workers and there is no "down time". Too much middle management who is "asleep at the wheel".

Advice to Management

ICF is facing significant turnover soon of some very valuable and hard working employees.