ICF - Interesting work; some opportunity for advancement; can feel stuck in your position | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for ICF

"Interesting work; some opportunity for advancement; can feel stuck in your position"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professionally supportive and accessible upper management. I feel comfortable sharing ideas and asking questions of vice presidents and feel that they value my contributions. Flexible work hours and ability to work from home (varies by supervisor and project manager--not everyone can enjoy this benefit). If you take initiative to do internal networking, people are ready to work with you, listen to your ideas, and help you. Almost everyone I have met here is quite smart, hard working, and good on a team.

Cons

Switch from sick and vacation to PTO. Lack of work/life balance. Feeling valued is important to me personally, but it has not translated into raise or promotion, which would be at least as meaningful. Your experience with the company can vary wildly depending on which office you sit in, who your supervisor is, and who your line of business lead is. This includes things like whether you can work from home, how and how long it takes to get promoted, whether you are expected to check email at night and on weekends, whether you are allowed to leave a project you don't like for one you prefer, etc. Promotion feels as though it is partly based on merit but at least equally based on who you know and whether you have a good supervisor who looks out for you. I feel I've been doing management level work for at least a year without having the salary or job title that I deserve.

Advice to Management

Have some guidelines on what non-management staff can expect in terms of how long it takes to be promoted in addition to what the skills are. Get management on board about what ICF practices are and have them applied across the board.

Other Employee Reviews for ICF

1. "ICF International Defense business area"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong ethics; recognition of strong performance with difficult clients; treat employees as people vice commodities

Cons

Declining US Defense Dept. contract values; some difficult clients

Advice to Management

Maintain current management style and ethics

"Consulting Firm that is evolving"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The firm has many federal contracts and tends to have stable jobs. The work environment is generally friendly especially for new graduates.

Cons

It is a consulting firm that is still evolving. The career trajectories tend to vary by division and team. Its hard to gauge the teams sometimes before you begin working with them.

Advice to Management

Align the practices and hold your business development leads responsible for results.