ICF - Strong public-sector consulting firm with some flaws | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ICF

"Strong public-sector consulting firm with some flaws"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid presence in many areas of government consulting; particular strengths in energy and environment. Diverse and skilled staff. Still small enough to be relatively agile.

Cons

Compensation is on the low side. Practices are managed separately without adequate cross-departmental collaboration, which really hurts ability to go after the increasingly complex contracts that government agencies are putting out. Staff are expected to do the heavy lifting on business development without adequate resources. Frequent business acquisitions mean often incompatible systems and culture conflicts.

Advice to Management

Empower lower-level staff to take leadership roles commensurate with their talents and abilities.

Other Employee Reviews for ICF

1. "Good company for talent, with acquisition integration and job security issues."

Pros

Projects are pursued for profit but also for opportunity to innovate, good selection of positions with opportunity to make a difference.

Cons

Tough times, management seems fractured, unable to cope with a non-organically (but still) growing company. Some "I'm out to get mine forget you" from higher but not executive management.

"Diverse company. Opportunities for everyone."

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good reputation, flexible work-life balance. Excellent tuition reimbursement program to continue your education. Supportive management.

Cons

Pay is relatively low for the work we do. I work remotely on a government project and don't have the same opportunities for promotion, advancement and bonuses that someone working in an ICF office might have. I feel a bit disconnected from the company culture for that reason. I also hate the "paid time off" policy. Sick and vacation is all one type of leave (PTO) and it's accrued use it or lose it leave.

Advice to Management

Find a way to recognize field staff who work remotely.