ICF - Great team of contractors, management only looks out for the bottom line. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ICF

"Great team of contractors, management only looks out for the bottom line."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA
Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked on a team project for the two and a half years I was there. Everyone assigned to the project was professional and we worked well together. It was a great experience.

Cons

During the last six months of the contract, we were told to "hang in there" until the end of the project because other work was available for us upon completion of the contract. A few of us did remain, others found employment elsewhere. I received my layoff notice one week before the contract end date. If other work is not available, don't lie and say it is. Yes, it's a for-profit business but that's no reason for deceit.

Advice to Management

Don't lie. You had a great group of employees who worked hard and impressed the clients. If there isn't other work available, do not say there is. We have personal responsibilities and families to support.

Other Employee Reviews for ICF

"Potential growth, but too many variables with middle and upper management"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ICF is a company that's been on the up for the past several years, but more importantly this growth has been continuous and consistent over that period of time, which to me is a good indication.

Cons

Unfortunately, much of this said growth may depend on the individual working group and line of business (LOB). Some groups and LOBs have shown growth that is reflective of the company as a whole, but if you're in a part of a group/LOB that doesn't pull as much weight, it can be frustrating to watch.

Having been part of numerous projects so far, I have yet to be part of a ICF-led project.; they have all been as a subcontractor, meaning the prime dictates nearly every aspect. I have yet to experience first hand what ICF's "culture and values" really are.

Advice to Management

If the current business strategy yields little to no growth, then maybe some changes in approach is worth considering, rather than repeating the same strategy over and over again.

"Laid-back but low-pay and no-culture"

Current Employee - Consultant/Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant/Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are easy to work with, good work-life balance, lots of different areas to gain experience in, telecommuting

Cons

Zero office culture, no career advancement opportunities (esp. for junior staff), major emphasis on "billable hours," very little in the way of training/career development, pay is relatively low....basically, senior management doesn't care about their workers enough to motivate them to do good work.

Advice to Management

Train your junior staff and make an effort to keep them there! (And at very least, by the time you don't want them anymore they'll have the skills to get hired elsewhere...)