ICF - Typical large corporate government contracting firm | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ICF

"Typical large corporate government contracting firm"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Rockville, MD
Former Employee - Research Assistant in Rockville, MD

I worked at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay and benefits, flexibility and ability to maintain a good personal life, many offices throughout the world, fun holiday parties

Cons

Some impersonal, hands-off managers that make getting work done difficult, and it is difficult to advance despite the size of the company. In my office at least, the overwhelming majority of those in executive positions were men.

Advice to Management

Allow workers more flexibility and lighten up on the 'corporate rebranding' and forced adaptation of the corporate culture.

Other Employee Reviews for ICF

"Great team of contractors, management only looks out for the bottom line."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked on a team project for the two and a half years I was there. Everyone assigned to the project was professional and we worked well together. It was a great experience.

Cons

During the last six months of the contract, we were told to "hang in there" until the end of the project because other work was available for us upon completion of the contract. A few of us did remain, others found employment elsewhere. I received my layoff notice one week before the contract end date. If other work is not available, don't lie and say it is. Yes, it's a for-profit business but that's no reason for deceit.

Advice to Management

Don't lie. You had a great group of employees who worked hard and impressed the clients. If there isn't other work available, do not say there is. We have personal responsibilities and families to support.

"Potential growth, but too many variables with middle and upper management"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ICF is a company that's been on the up for the past several years, but more importantly this growth has been continuous and consistent over that period of time, which to me is a good indication.

Cons

Unfortunately, much of this said growth may depend on the individual working group and line of business (LOB). Some groups and LOBs have shown growth that is reflective of the company as a whole, but if you're in a part of a group/LOB that doesn't pull as much weight, it can be frustrating to watch.

Having been part of numerous projects so far, I have yet to be part of a ICF-led project.; they have all been as a subcontractor, meaning the prime dictates nearly every aspect. I have yet to experience first hand what ICF's "culture and values" really are.

Advice to Management

If the current business strategy yields little to no growth, then maybe some changes in approach is worth considering, rather than repeating the same strategy over and over again.