"It’s complicated"

Former Employee - Designer

I worked at IDEO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fell in love with a few projects I had the chance to work on. Traveled a few places and got the chance to work for clients I was dreaming of before joining. Colleagues are incredibly smart, talented, and emotionally invested. It's a culture of kindness and generosity among designers. The brand of IDEO is powerful and, if you have initiative, it can open a few doors while you are at the company, and after when you leave the company.

Cons

Politics: as many reviews profusely indicate, there is 2-class citizens systems which is obvious. I would add to that the drift the company is going through towards ultimate self-referentiality, IDEO celebrating its IDEOness. You can really see the cultural resistance towards really understanding the world we are living nowadays, especially when it comes to technology and people behaviors, whereas a company like IDEO would have incredible opportunities for impact with a more positive approach. Partners to me are the most negative part of the experience at IDEO. They are a separate entity in the org and as a designer you will rarely have a chance to engage with them. When you do they are often arrogant and have permission to say whatever they want. They just sit above everything else and they seem only preoccupied about their 2nd homes and ways to increase their personal visibility through side projects that use IDEO official resources and are laughable and zero relevant in this world. Craft and role of design is increasingly losing a center role in the organization, in favor of "strategic thinkers" which are the opposite of “talk less do more” cultural value. Leadership does their best to deliberately put designers outside of their talent for career development and ends up negatively impacting craft and the talent they hired for. Lots of new hires at director level that are bypassing the long climb and they have no clue about how to run a project and the process that IDEO stands for. “Ambiguity” serves the status quo, they will often speak about being a family, while in practice it is nothing but a corporation with all the.. corporate things that come with it.

Continue reading
  1. "Excellent learning environment"

5.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IDEO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Energetic, multicultural, professional, empowering. A place to learn about users, design thinking process.

Cons

It might not have the highest salary

2. "More than anything else I love the people I get to work with"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Design Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IDEO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with a wide range of industries, disciplines and different kinds of deliverables

Cons

Working hours can we very long

Discover more reviews about IDEO.