IDEXX Laboratories - So glad I came to IDEXX! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IDEXX Laboratories

"So glad I came to IDEXX!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel well-respected and supported, that I can truly make a difference, and that I am trusted to do it here and do it well.
It is a growing company, I see nothing but opportunity for advancement and it's great to be able to see my career path for the next few years.
I love the fast pace, the bias for action, and working for a company that is not afraid to spend money.
Single stream recycling, paperless office, and a new LEEDs certified building show that IDEXX supports the environment
2 paid days off a year for volunteering.
Very involved CIO with great vision.

Cons

Hours can sometimes be long, but time flies by quickly because I love what I am doing! Processes are still not very mature - feels like a start up at times, but that can be energizing.

Other Employee Reviews for IDEXX Laboratories

"Amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get paid every two weeks

Cons

I work in the faciities group and it is truely amazing how unorganized and disfunctional it is. This group lacks processes and procedures for all areas. The Facilities director has left recently and D.M. is looking for a replacement. Hey Dan, I hope you hire a qualified person from outside the company and when that person gets here he or she should take a hard look at the managers below. What a mess.... A lot of the people in this group really hope the new director will bring some good improvements, in the meantime I will be looking for other employment.

Advice to Management

This is the real deal, another building on the way and if we keep running like we run now........ I hate to think about it.

"Recent rapid growth leaves lots of room for improvement"

Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to improve outdated standards and make your mark if you can navigate the water. Departments have freedom to decide what they should do and how to do it, which makes a few parts of the organization world class. Economy proof so far.

Cons

Poor to nonexistent (not SMART) guidelines, goals or development in the majority of the organization.
    Reviews are roulette (bad reviews in high output years, great reviews for doing little).
    Many incapable people get promoted, while those striving to raise standards are in trouble.
    Many managers have been here for over 10 years lack vision, and don't want ideas from the outside.

Advice to Management

There is not yet any consistent level of middle management training or standards at IDEXX. You need to find a way to make your managers accountable, or you will continue to lose the mobile portion of your best talent despite the poor economy. You need to teach your managers how to manage effectively in a matrix, and measure it! IDEXX has good ideals, but they are "optional" to your middle managers as long as you let it be. Stop the PR and lip service, and set some clear standards. We need better leaders. Empower your HR group to be able to solve problems ethically.