IDEXX Laboratories - Slow Down and Take Care of Some HR Business! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IDEXX Laboratories

"Slow Down and Take Care of Some HR Business!"

Current Employee - Facilities in Westbrook, ME
Current Employee - Facilities in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories full-time

Pros

Stable employment in a State where there are very few opportunities for real careers and earnings.

Cons

Eight years ago this place was too good to be true. Over the last three to four years it has taken a turn for the worst. Like many other reviews, most of the departments are run by managers with personal agendas and clearly look at employees as easily replaceable in a downturn economy. The company has tried to offset some of the negative employee issues with a "My Voice" survey given to employees the last two years. What I have seen is a lot of talk about some of the key issues and no tangible movement to resolve any of them.

In my department, Facilities, the same key issues of trust/respect, accountability and the willingness to speak up were repeat issues. The managers in Facilities are clueless on how to even start to deal with these items. Our department has essentially been leaderless with no clear direction for over three years. Our former Director left about 6 months ago but prior to this he allowed his middle managers to run amok and sending employees off in all directions with no purpose or common goals. We get things done out of necessity but in a manner that is dysfunctional and costly with back stabbing, gossiping and undermining each other the norm. There is a current effort to replace the Director, which most are hoping will get us back on track. Unfortunately there are a few of the dysfunctional middle managers that have applied for this position. If any of them get hired for the position it would be a disaster for our department and the company. We NEED someone to come in and clean house, clean up the lack of accountability, stop middle management personal agendas from guiding us and get everyone in Facilities pointed in the right direction. We are hoping to have this new leadership in place by Q1 (2013). I am optimistic that things will work out. In the meantime I am looking outside of IDEXX for opportunities if the slide continues in our department.

Advice to Management

It's too bad that you cannot put yourself in your employee's shoes to see what is really going on at the ground floor. Not sure what you are going to do when the economy does really turn around and you have a mass exodus of employees walking out the door. Now is when you want to fix the problems before things are too late.

Other Employee Reviews for IDEXX Laboratories

"Growth business but professional opportunity limited"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Westbrook, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth of stock price and business profitability
    Nice co-workers and good job security

Cons

lack of advancement due to shortage of staff to back fill position
    pay was not competitive for the amount of responsibility

Advice to Management

Don't oversell the advancement opportunities

"Disappointed--avoid if possible"

Current Employee - R&D Manager in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

if negotiated well and lucky you get good wage and benefits,not guaranteed !!.

Cons

--Full of managers playing politics ,with complete disregard for existing employees (R&D)
    --No respect for current full time employees ,so no company loyalty built,every one tries to get his head in the game.
    --all talk no action.
    --Contractors given more importance than 15-20yrs exp employees.
    --forget on promotions unless you can do some politics.

Advice to Management

--Take some action dont just talk
    --value your existing employees ,they are the best resource
    --Hire talented managers ,