IEM - Great environment to learn; not to grow | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IEM

"Great environment to learn; not to grow"

Current Employee - EM Associate in Durham, NC
Current Employee - EM Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at IEM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart people work at IEM and as an employee you get your hands in on a myriad of projects across sectors and stakeholder levels. Really valuable opportunities to gain experience outside of specialty area. The most flexible working environment as well!

Cons

There is no room for professional growth and very little opportunity for sponsored professional development. Project execution is carried out at the Associate or Analyst level. The Managers serve more as salesmen than anything else. Very few opportunities to move up within the company.

Advice to Management

Promote visibility of employee expertise across company.
Provide a means of internal growth to promote employee longevity.

Other Employee Reviews for IEM

"Innovation and Proactive Pursuits Encouraged"

I have been working at IEM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having been at IEM over 5 years, in a variety of positions, I have seen a wide range of perspectives within the company. What I have found is a group of people who are largely committed to the mission of the company of building a safer, more secure, and more resilient world.

The relational aspect building is still a major positive of the company, where you aren't a position, or a number, but a valued part of a team, and over time, a family.

My growth within the company has been based on my capabilities, and my initiative. This isn't necessarily the best place if you expect to be excessively trained on basic functions, or want things handed to you, but if you're driven, talented in communications across a variety of mediums, and thinking critically and analytically, I'm not sure of a better place to work.

Cons

As with any company, communications are not always clear, with expectations and outcomes explicitly delineated and regularly laid out.

Like I mentioned above, if you expect this to be a place where you'll be sent to a bunch of training, have a lot of personal development time, this isn't the right fit for you. But, if you are driven to learn and grow as an employee, and are willing to fill in on projects in whatever capacity is needed, and can research, read analytically and comprehensively, and write well, you can really do whatever you want.

"They've lost something..."

I have been working at IEM full-time

Pros

The best thing about IEM are the people. I have never before worked in a place with so many smart, funny, genuinely likable people. Other good things include flexible working hours and a very casual dress code

Cons

Sigh. I used to love working at this company. I was proud of the company and of the job that I did. In the last year or so, however, IEM has lost a lot of what made it special. There used to be an atmosphere of collegiality, collaboration, and respect, without all the politics present at most other companies. That is gone now, however. The company has made a lot of changes to structure and focus in the past year. While that is not a bad thing at all, they made them without any kind of change management plan, and seemingly without thinking through how some initiatives that sounded great in theory would work in real life. Communication has been lacking, there are definitely political games going on behind the scenes (or at least there is a perception that there are), and that sense of collaboration is gone. In addition, in the past, employees were encouraged to take initiative, suggest innovations, and otherwise look for ways to improve the company and its operations. Now, however, those things fall on deaf ears at best, and sometimes result in a dressing-down. In addition, work-life balance is non-existent. I have had people indignant that I didn't immediately respond to emails they sent well after midnight. I have take to turning my phone and computer off at 9 p.m. and not turning them back on until morning for just that reason. In short, this place that used to be a pleasure to work in is now a misery. Now, instead of being excited to go to work every day, I wake up dreading another day of drudgery, another day of feeling like just a tiny, invisible cog in a machine that is careening out of control in the wrong direction.

Advice to Management

Find a way to recapture what made this company so special. so different from every other contractor out there, or you are going to lose the last remnants of that very strong core that made this little company able to compete with the big guys in government contracting.