IGT - Just a shadow of what it used to be | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IGT

"Just a shadow of what it used to be"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at IGT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart engineers and technical managers at IGT. Within the narrow confines of the hardware and software that IGT is concerned with, you can learn a lot. There is a cafeteria (I never went) and a free gym (I never went). While there is no official compensation for overtime for salaried employees, managers will try to offer some kind of off-the-books time off to people who have to put in a lot of extra hours.

Cons

Hoo boy, where to start... IGT is a company that innovated its way to 70% market share in the industry, got complacent, bloated up, and started losing market share fast. The management team from the glory days is long gone, the folks at the top seem to be generic suits these days, with all of the leadership acumen that that implies. Advancement as an engineer is possible, but difficult. Overtime is frequent and required. Layoffs were very common when management realized that market share was slipping, stabilized as IGT share stabilized, and have recently (March, 2014) started again. Just before the layoffs began again, the company rolled out a major branding campaign: "Out of the Blue." The gist of which seemed to be, "Blue is Good." I wonder how many of us would still be employed if the money for that campaign had been spent on salaries for the people who actually make the companies products. To close, I will re-iterate the warning that others have posted: Do not accept the Restricted Stock Unit grants. IGT can and WILL enforce the non-compete clause in that agreement even if you are laid off. I have worked 10 of the last 12 years in the gaming industry, and I cannot get a job in Reno because I am forbidden from working in the gaming industry for a year after I was laid off. All because I took 1/4 of one grant of stock. For 50 shares of a declining stock, I am losing a year's employment.

Advice to Management

Don't use an incentive bonus like the RSU's as a trap with a non-compete. In fact, if you lay somebody off, waive any non-compete for them. What's the point of denying somebody else the right to hire an employee that you don't want? Patti Hart's leadership is not helping the company. I'm not sure that anybody could, at this point, but she sure isn't. Also, you are cutting muscle, not fat, by laying off engineers and artists and increasing the workload on those who remain. Economize elsewhere.

Other Employee Reviews for IGT

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at IGT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The paychecks were on time. Some of the co-workers were great people to know.

Cons

The upper management of the company don't understand the industry nor regulatory issues. A lot of the projects in the company are handled like it has never been done before, even when those projects are periodic events. The engineering jobs are located in Reno or Las Vegas, neither of which is the best place to be when looking for something better.

Advice to Management

Get some advisors that know the industry. Lose a lot of the VPs and above, 42 for a company of less than 4000?

"Lay-offs, lay-offs, lay-offs...."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer Level IV in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer Level IV in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at IGT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With the bonus, good salary... too bad I never got to see the bonus...

Cons

They are are laying-off people like crazy, it doesn't matter if you are good. They hired me and 3 months later laid me off, despite of my good work even in the short period of time.

From what I heard from recruiters around town, nobody (recruiters) want to work with IGT because they have lay-offs every year.

I also heard from a former employee as well, (and I am not sure if is true) if managers like their people, they hire some more people, so when the lay-off "season" comes, they let the new ones go. I feel I was "the new one" they let go.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people you can afford to keep.