IHS - Inconsistent Upper-Management Focus & No Career Growth | Glassdoor

IHS is now known as IHS Markit. Merged together we harness the deepest sources of information, analytics and expertise to forge solutions for industries and markets that drive economies worldwide. We call this The New Intelligence. We serve over 50,000 customers in over 140 countries. Visit our new page!

There are newer employer reviews for IHS

"Inconsistent Upper-Management Focus & No Career Growth"

I worked at IHS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is excellent, and technical employees are intelligent and easy to work with; bottom-level management is reasonable; IT is responsive - I had the necessary equipment to do my job; compensation is reasonable, and day-to-day environment is professional

Cons

There is a poor management culture at the middle-to-C-level: a culture of telling higher-ups what they wish to hear, rather than the truth, or your informed opinion. Design meetings are like Kabuki theater: figure out what the senior person in the room is thinking, and then agree with that. Some Director-level managers have fired people for single disagreements. Penny-pinching attitude toward choice of architecture: even highly-profitable projects were starved for resources. Poor collaboration among departments - general dysfunction in communication.

There seemed to be an emphasis on pleasing stock analysts: cut expenses for the sake of cutting expenses this quarter, and don't worry about longer-term profitability or viability. I don't believe that the CEO or his direct reports are pumping the stock with an intent to dump it, but the relentless pace of acquisitions and emphasis on immediate satisfaction of metrics left little time to address the issue of the dysfunctional, bloated, and unproductive middle management.

Advice to Management

Management is bloated: far too many Directors and Senior Directors. There is a chronic love affair with off-the-shelf packages from external providers in place of internal development of solutions. Nothing wrong with using pre-built tools when appropriate, but you should stick with your decisions once you make them - constant reversals mean nothing ever gets completed.

Other Employee Reviews for IHS

"IHS can be a great company to work for, if you are in the right position."

I worked at IHS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very smart people working on some truly amazing things.

Cons

The organization of the company is a bit schizophrenic. They do relatively frequent layoffs to "trim the fat". Not always ready to embrace new technology, which leaves them behind the curve.

2. "A great and fast growing Information Technology employment firm."

Pros

My experience as IT Consultant with Insight Global was very positive. They are a proactive, positive organization and are very well organized, recruiters pay attention to detail and always follow up with their consultants very professionally.

Cons

Chances for contract to hire positions are often slow.