IM Flash Technologies - A Bunch of Micro Managers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IM Flash Technologies

"A Bunch of Micro Managers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

When I started it was exciting to work on leading edge technology and most of the people seem to be nice who were not in management. As time passed I started to realize that it was a facade. That in reality it was a sweat shop of oppression.

Cons

Management micromanages their people as if they are incapable of managing their own life and time. This is laughable because most of the employees are college educated engineers that have not achieved the level they are at without being able to take responsibility. What is more laughable is that the constant review to make sure everyone is working on site at least 40 hours is leading to less productivity because people get very good at looking busy and wasting time. This cultural behavior is brought on by the work environment with the open seating without any cube walls and the fact that you had to scan both into and out of the site creating a log of your time on site. This is in contrast to companies like Intel were the management just gives a lot of work a lets people manage their own time to get the projects done and you never scan to get out of the buildings.
Example: The management chain I was in required that you be on site by 8 am and not leave earlier than 5 pm. If you were late or if you needed to leave early, say for a doctor’s appointment, you had to tell your manager beforehand for their approval and it could not be for more than 2 hours. If it was say 4 hours it was not acceptable for you to flex your time to accommodate, say come in early and leave early or stay late. Instead you were required to use you vacation time for the absence. So let’s say you worked 10 hours on Monday and 10 on Tuesday, those extra 4 hours did not count toward the absence on Wednesday.
Another Example: I ask once if it would be ok if I left once per week at 4:45 on Thursday to transport one of my kids to an activity. My manager told me that this was not acceptable because someone could schedule a meeting from 4 to 5. The rest of the time I worked at IM Flash no one ever scheduled a meeting from 4 to 5 on Thursday. There was no work life balance or accommodation.
The result of this policy was counterproductive. People would work the minimum or just above the 40 hours on average to make sure they would not have other issues but they would not work the long hours like other places because there was no benefit.
Final example: HR said the management could not pull anyone persons time log but they got around this by pulling everyone in a group. I know for a fact that a co-worker was put on a performance improvement plan because one week they only have 39.5 hours logged to the site. What was not taken into count was the time he was working remotely from home because this time is not tracked. In reality he had close to 50 hours in. As part of the PIP he had to show his manager his time log for the next 3 months proving he was on site 40+ hours. This person quit the next year and found a better and higher paying job.
These are only a few examples of life at IM Flash. Most people live and work in fear at IM Flash and because of this there are quick to throw people under the bus. Managers will take credit for work the people under them have done. If you question management of make any waves you will be drummed out. Do one of two things with IM Flash: save yourself the stress and choose another place to work, or work and plan your exit within 5 years to go to a place the values your experience and will not lord over you. Also bring head phones, it gets very noisy from all the people talking in the big open office.

Advice to Management

I have nothing nice to say to the management. la la la la la la la la la la la

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear that you felt this way about your time at IM Flash. We have forwarded your comments to HR and to Fab leadership for consideration.

Other Employee Reviews for IM Flash Technologies

"Bring you in with the benefits, keep you there because it's a job"

Current Employee - Process Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good.
    401k match 5%, HSA healthcare plan and other options available, Life insurance, Dental, vision.
    Night, weekend differential on hourly pay.
    I got a relocation package when I joined the company which was great coming out of college. They helped set me up with the whole process of buying my house.
    Two bonuses per year (depending on company performance)
    System for sending $10 gift cards to coworkers to show appreciation.
    3-4 days off per week

Cons

Rotating schedule every 4 months of days/nights.

Vacation and sick time are in one bank. If you somehow were never sick and didn't work a holiday or take triple time on the holiday, you would have 20 shifts off. 1 per month worked and then 6 recognized holidays.
    If you don't schedule your days off ahead of time then you get an occurrence for it. 5 occurrences per 6 month period. I earned my TOP time. If I have it, I should be able to use it whenever I want.

12 hour shifts are long and full of monotonous, boring work.
    3-4 shift per week, which means more days off in a row, but the job isn't worth it.
    No fulfillment to see results of the work you put in.

Moving up or around is very difficult. They use a system where you have to put in tons of hours of overtime to fill out a document full of a list of necessary tasks which will take a long time to achieve. The document is very vague, and requires things which you have to go out of your way to be able to even start on. Without that document completed, you cannot move up in your position. PRA (position readiness assessment)

They will higher new graduates (with engineering (specifically) degrees only) as engineers instead of the people who have worked there for years and know far more about the process than the new hires will in a year of working.

They'll bring you in with the benefits and it'll sound great to work at but it will fade within the first few months.

Advice to Management

Do away with the PRA promotion policy. There are much better ways to gauge whether someone is excelling in the job role. The PRA is demotivating for the amount of pay it'll increase compared to the amount of time needed to be put into it.

Practice what you preach and promote the people who have worked so hard for several years into the engineer positions instead of only new hires.

Make it so it's a permanent choice between days or nights. Some people want to work days and some want to work nights. Other semiconductor companies have that and are still successful.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing technology, smart people and wonderful products

Cons

Work life balance can be improved

Advice to Management

You are running a great company